Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine oil cooler on GM SB 350

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepers creepers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i was wondering if is a good idea to put an engine oil cooler on a mild built 355 Chevy, i'm obsessed about cam and distributor gear wear so i thought it means more load on them due to the restriction created by the little cooler itself but i also think about advantages, cooler oil ( a little ticker too) but less oxidation and may be more protection, i also noticed a drop on engine oil pressure after the mods i did to the pump to avoid cavitation, so a slightly ticker oil it's not too bad...

I'm asking how much the cooler would change the coolant temp, i believe not that much but that's probably more stable?
I've seen sandwich adapters with thermal switch that opens up oil flow after 180 F, i guess it's a very good thing on the wintertime too...

Any help or opinion is very welcome.
Thank you.

#2 ·
Oil coolers are good for trucks or for highly modded performance engines, but they aren't used very often on more standard SBC's. I've seen the sandwich adapters and coolers on quite a few GM light trucks in the junkyard, so you could probably pick one up very cheaply. I've also heard that the flexible lines develop leaks over time, maybe because they run so close to engine heat where they come off the sandwich adapter.

Based on your username, is this going in a Jeep? For an off-road vehicle that runs at high RPM and low road speed for a long time I think the external cooler would be worth it. However, its probably not needed on a street vehicle.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.