Hot Rod Forum banner

engine paint

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  blown69stang 
#1 ·
Hello.
What type of engine paint do you guys use? Im sure its something for heat, but what brand is the best?
Also, can I use it for valve covers? Im thinking of painting my valve covers in that chrome looking paint. Is it nice or does it look goofy?
Thanks, HG

#3 ·
Hemmi, use Dupli-Color, it has a ceramic component that give it an exstra special shine, and help keep it that way, as for the chrome paint scrap that idea, it looks goofy and it comes off if you rub your finger over it. Dupli-Color has a rattle can of silver that would bring those valve covers back to life. Be sure to use the engine enamel, due to the heat. You can buy this stuff almost anywhere, including Wally-World.

#6 ·
you can really use car paint? i've seen rod engines that match the cars body at shows but didn't think it would last. i've always used the best industrial enamel brushed on and it only barely singes around the exhaust ports on the heads after a few years. i did use spray on engine enamel this last time, but havent fired it yet. should be fine, i reckon.

#8 ·
Car body paint can't be used on a street vehicle. It is not designed to take any heat. If you notice that vehicles left out in sun, the body surfaces reach about 125 degrees F, well there paint is fried and peeling off. Well that is what will happen when you put it on some metal that gets to 250+ degrees. If it can't stand 125 degrees for too long, then it won't stand up against 250 either. The UV rays do add a little bit of a death blow but heat is heat. Use the enamel that is formulated for high heat usage. Why do you think Dupli-Color pays their chemists to develop this stuff. Most engine enamels come in a rating of 550+ degrees and last for a fair amount of time. You can't really spray the motor in the car so the brush on seems to be the bes way to go. With it, you can always touch up areas without worrying about overspray. Please, brushon application seems to be considerably thicker and holds up longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.