Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Painting

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  123pugsy 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to reassemble a refreashed motor. I am planning on using POR 15 to finish the block, heads, etc. When is the best time to paint the parts? Before assembly or after?

#4 ·
If the engine will spend a lot of time exposed (car shows, or maybe it's in a T-Bucket) POR-15 might be a poor choice. Unless you use a secondary topcoat. POR-15 is sensitive to UV (sunlight) rays. Not slamming it, I think it's a great product. But they are careful to tell you to use it in applications that are nto exposed to UV, unless you topcoat over it.

Pat

#5 ·
If you are painting it black I would say after assembly, that way you can be sure to get all the little areas that are not covered, there are spots that will be left bare around the deck of the block and around the intake faces of the heads that will have to be filled in anyways if you paint the parts individually

#7 ·
I paint after assembly because I think its easier. Restoration freaks tend to paint before assembly because it is more authentic, but it requires more masking and attention to detail.

I agree with the others; unless you're doing a special POR15 engine paint, I wouldn't use it. Its great as a rock hard topcoat for rust, but you'll have to topcoat it and I don't think its best on hot engine parts. I have great luck with Eastwood rattle cans of engine paint, and actually the parts-store brand is just fine as well.

#10 ·
I vote against the POR-15 also. It's just not the right application. I've had good luck with can engine paint, but epoxy/bc/cc is the way to go. The clear coat makes it super easy to clean. Some engine degreaser and good hose down and the the grime rinses away.

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I know I can always count on my fellow car nuts to give me the straight scoop. I think I'll paint before assembly because I want the detail to show. I think I will go the bc/cc approach over an epoxy primer. I don't plan on tearing into this motor again for quite some time and I want it to look kick ___. Thanks!

#12 ·
POR-15 might be a poor choice
HUH? The only reason I've ever heard of anybody not using POR-15 was because they thought it cost too much. What is the problem with a product that works? Check out the POR-15 web page;
http://www.por15.com

not a paid advertiser/endorser of any known product
Anyway, anybody that doesn't care for the POR stuff, all I can ask is WHY?

#13 ·
Stroke said:
HUH? The only reason I've ever heard of anybody not using POR-15 was because they thought it cost too much. What is the problem with a product that works? Check out the POR-15 web page;
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp
=EE&dept=7

not a paid advertiser/endorser of any known product
Anyway, anybody that doesn't care for the POR stuff, all I can ask is WHY?
Ever got that stuff hot? Smelt the fumes from it burning? Tried to put it out when on fire?

Nuff Said

#15 ·
jpd37,

You need to clarify. Are you wanting to use the black POR-15 rust paint? Or the POR-15 engine enamals they also sell?

I, like the other posters had the impression you were using the rust paint they are so well known for. If your talking about thier special engine enamal, I have no experiance with it, but I would retract my statement about it being the wrong application.

#16 ·
It is their Engine Enamel product. I would be very surprised if POR-15 represented a product for engine use that had not been tested. I have used their products on other applications on the car that are working extremely well. Some of the product has been in use over 6 years and it still looks as good as the day it was first applied.

I was more interested in when the best time was to do the painting. I've decided to paint before assembly so the bolts and accessories stand out more.

One more question. Should the surfaces where bolts occur on the exterior be masked off so bolts mate metal to metal or is a layer of paint between the bolt and the part an acceptable alternative. I'm thinking the surfaces probably should be masked off to assure metal to metal contact.

#17 ·
jpd37 said:
One more question. Should the surfaces where bolts occur on the exterior be masked off so bolts mate metal to metal or is a layer of paint between the bolt and the part an acceptable alternative. I'm thinking the surfaces probably should be masked off to assure metal to metal contact.
I wouldn't worry about a little paint between the bolt and the part...

#18 ·
This is THE way to do it

baddbob said:
A high quality epoxy primer followed by automotive Single stage urethane gets my vote.
I paint lots of show car engines...heres how I do it...wash the engine down after its asm.with wax and grease remover drying as you go with air...prime with epoxy...paint with either single stage of base clear...I perfer base clear...go to www.southtownstreetrods.com to see examples...it will last forever if you do it this way and will look very good...

#19 ·
I plan to use their engine enamel. I would be very suprized and disappointed if POR-15 would promote a product for engines that did not stand up to their claims. Like I said, I have used their other products on the frame and body with unquestionable success. I'm expecting the same from this product. I did check out the local auto supply stores and they have Dupli-Color high performance engine enamel and primer for a lot less than the POR-15 products. I want a quality, reliable and problem free finish that will look good for years to come. That's why I thought POR-15 would be the best.

Bottom line, I'm going with the POR-15 engine enamel and I'm going to mask the parts and paint them before assembly.

Thanks again for all your advice and ideas. Sure helps to have a good staff of people to call on.

#20 ·
The POR15 guy told me to use the black rust paint first and then top coat with the color. I brushed mine on within 24 hours so I wouldn't have to scuff the black.

Only issue I had was close to the center exhaust ports on the heads , the red discolored from the intense heat. 455 OLDS with siamesed exhaust ports in the center.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.