Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Engine Painting (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-painting-135428.html)

jpd37 03-20-2008 10:31 AM

Engine Painting

I'm getting ready to reassemble a refreashed motor. I am planning on using POR 15 to finish the block, heads, etc. When is the best time to paint the parts? Before assembly or after?

123pugsy 03-20-2008 10:37 AM

I've painted with a brush before assembly and I've painted with spray after assembly. Whatever turns your crank,I guess. :)

Sinister 03-20-2008 11:33 AM

I'd paint before assembly. The engine will look more detailed.

PatM 03-20-2008 02:14 PM

If the engine will spend a lot of time exposed (car shows, or maybe it's in a T-Bucket) POR-15 might be a poor choice. Unless you use a secondary topcoat. POR-15 is sensitive to UV (sunlight) rays. Not slamming it, I think it's a great product. But they are careful to tell you to use it in applications that are nto exposed to UV, unless you topcoat over it.

Pat

Double_v23 03-20-2008 02:19 PM

If you are painting it black I would say after assembly, that way you can be sure to get all the little areas that are not covered, there are spots that will be left bare around the deck of the block and around the intake faces of the heads that will have to be filled in anyways if you paint the parts individually

MI2600 03-20-2008 02:31 PM

I would vote against POR-15. Once it sets, it turns to concrete and makes any mistakes a headache.

I always paint after assembly. Less masking.

curtis73 03-20-2008 02:44 PM

I paint after assembly because I think its easier. Restoration freaks tend to paint before assembly because it is more authentic, but it requires more masking and attention to detail.

I agree with the others; unless you're doing a special POR15 engine paint, I wouldn't use it. Its great as a rock hard topcoat for rust, but you'll have to topcoat it and I don't think its best on hot engine parts. I have great luck with Eastwood rattle cans of engine paint, and actually the parts-store brand is just fine as well.

baddbob 03-20-2008 08:36 PM

A high quality epoxy primer followed by automotive Single stage urethane gets my vote.

sheldonw 03-20-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddbob
A high quality epoxy primer followed by automotive Single stage urethane gets my vote.

Nailed it better than any off the shelf engine paint i've ever used

Arrowhead 03-21-2008 05:39 AM

I vote against the POR-15 also. It's just not the right application. I've had good luck with can engine paint, but epoxy/bc/cc is the way to go. The clear coat makes it super easy to clean. Some engine degreaser and good hose down and the the grime rinses away.

jpd37 03-21-2008 10:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I know I can always count on my fellow car nuts to give me the straight scoop. I think I'll paint before assembly because I want the detail to show. I think I will go the bc/cc approach over an epoxy primer. I don't plan on tearing into this motor again for quite some time and I want it to look kick ___. Thanks!

Stroke 03-21-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

POR-15 might be a poor choice
HUH? The only reason I've ever heard of anybody not using POR-15 was because they thought it cost too much. What is the problem with a product that works? Check out the POR-15 web page;
http://www.por15.com

not a paid advertiser/endorser of any known product
Anyway, anybody that doesn't care for the POR stuff, all I can ask is WHY?

Arrowhead 03-21-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroke
HUH? The only reason I've ever heard of anybody not using POR-15 was because they thought it cost too much. What is the problem with a product that works? Check out the POR-15 web page;
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp
=EE&dept=7

not a paid advertiser/endorser of any known product
Anyway, anybody that doesn't care for the POR stuff, all I can ask is WHY?

Ever got that stuff hot? Smelt the fumes from it burning? Tried to put it out when on fire?

Nuff Said

Stroke 03-21-2008 12:12 PM

Have smelled more than my share of POR.
Quote:

Tried to put it out when on fire?
Um, once cured it would likely have to get VERY HOT to burn. Why is there fire under your hood anyway? That doesn't seem to make for a very nice engine compartment, at least none that I've seen.

Arrowhead 03-21-2008 12:58 PM

jpd37,

You need to clarify. Are you wanting to use the black POR-15 rust paint? Or the POR-15 engine enamals they also sell?

I, like the other posters had the impression you were using the rust paint they are so well known for. If your talking about thier special engine enamal, I have no experiance with it, but I would retract my statement about it being the wrong application.