Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Painting Question
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
A lot of high end shops paint the inside of engines, no problems if its the right paint it wont come off !!! Ive been using this system for over 40 years

Jester
Ditto! Not only has Glyptol been used inside engines for years, but every hi performance engine manual or book has reccommended it for years. The key to using it is having the engine properly prepped, and use the real Glyptol. I've always done it to engines right after they come back from hot tanking and machine work. I give them a good hot soapy bath and rinse them off, then after thorough drying I paint with Glyptol. I also smooth all the casting flaws in the lifter valley before I send them out for maching, so oil return flow is improved.
Many people make the mistake of building the short block first and that creates oily surfaces where the paint wont adhere, which will cause huge problems. My engine in my Camaro has about 30,000 miles on the rebuild done in 1999, and it's painted this way.
I didn't do the valley on my 327 just because I couldn't guarantee it would be oil free when I had it apart.