Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Painting Question
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Ayuh,... I paint my motors with rattlecan Rustoleum....

Never had any paint loss, except for the hot spot on the intake manifold, at the cross over...
I'm restoring my '49 and like most people have shortage of money laying around to throw away at this time. I was planning on just getting the mechanical and the fabrication out of the way then paint some things then when I'm ready to paint the cab then I'll paint the engine, etc.

Since the frame is going to sandblasting and paint by a professional shop, while I have the engine hanging there I was thinking a couple of dollars of Rustoleum spray cans won't break the budget.

I was thinking about using paint stripper then a really good cleaning with diesel a pressure washer and a wire brush on an air tool. After that a little more pressure washing with good soap, and that's when I got stumped.
1- Do I need to use a high temp primer or just spray it with high temp engine paint?

2- The headers have surface rust. After wire brushing them, do I just high temp spray them also and the same question, primer or direct paint?

Look at all the primers I saw and none of them say high temp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1314.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	68612