Engine Painting Question - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint

I used Por 15 red engine paint, works for me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Take a trip to the parts or paint store or search online for color chips for crying out loud!
Really helpful from a seasoned rodder ???. I thought this forum was supposed to be a friendly place.

Asking a question is far easier and time saving than driving however long it takes to get to the parts store only to find out a simple answer.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
B.A.M.F

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Just painted my Cadillac block with DupliColor engine primer and enamel. The inside red color is Glyptal, not really necessary but I had a can of it so why not.

Please for the love of god stop everything you are doing and scrape that stuff off the inside of your block, I work in a machine shop building engines for race cars and fixing the engines the average joe thinks he's going to make 600hp with, every time we get one in with issues we find that the peeling or disintegrating paint inside the engine is causing excessive wear in the bearings, clogging oil pumps etc. today's modern fuels alcohols and diesels are very potent and will eat away anything you spay inside your engines to increase oil flow. If oil return is that important please take it to a shop or get a dremmel and start smoothing the rough surfaces

Last edited by UPandComing; 04-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPandComing
Please for the love of god stop everything you are doing and scrape that stuff off the inside of your block, I work in a machine shop building engines for race cars and fixing the engines the average joe thinks he's going to make 600hp with, every time we get one in with issues we find that the peeling or disintegrating paint inside the engine is causing excessive wear in the bearings, clogging oil pumps etc. today's modern fuels alcohols and diesels are very potent and will eat away anything you spay inside your engines to increase oil flow. If oil return is that important please take it to a shop or get a deemed and start smoothing the rough surfaces

For the love of GOD !!thank you for chiming in on this painting of the motor inside, I tried to share this with him but/ i wasn't in depth enough on what i said to him. He doesn't want to listen to fact, Maybe he will now. YOU DON'T PAINT THE INSIDE OF A MOTOR FOR ANY REASON. Have a good day everybody bob s
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM
B.A.M.F

Last photo:

Lol bob everyone has their own way it may work for him depending on the application and the type of fuel he uses, and yes everyone I'm aware the fuel does not fill the lifter valley but it does mix with the oil which runs through the valley, alcohol engines are notorious for eating anything sprayed in the valley or heads
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Lol bob everyone has their own way it may work for him depending on the application and the type of fuel he uses, and yes everyone I'm aware the fuel does not fill the lifter valley but it does mix with the oil which runs through the valley, alcohol engines are notorious for eating anything sprayed in the valley or heads
I am still on your side...some guys don't see the forest for the trees.Its still the wrong way to go, no matter how you.slice it, jmo bob s i wish rich field the best of luck--jus sayin!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd
That inside is painted with Glyptal, thats painted for oil control. Used extensively in racing applications. There are a couple of threads here on it. Don't worry, it's not coming off.!!
A lot of high end shops paint the inside of engines, no problems if its the right paint it wont come off !!! Ive been using this system for over 40 years

Jester
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
B.A.M.F

Last photo:

nothing wrong with positive results but its circumstantial now do you just build street engines? any racing applications? nitro or alcohol based fuels?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
nothing wrong with positive results but its circumstantial now do you just build street engines? any racing applications? nitro or alcohol based fuels?

If this Questions for me? the answer is yes Ive built and worked on them all and The only thing circumstantial is getting a block into a shop and thinking that coating the inner block is bad because the coating didn't hold up!! what I would suspect is that someone didn't know what they were doing or they used the wrong coating (like rustolium, etc ) I see inner blocks coated with all kinds of paints!! If you dont know what your doing (the prep) or have the right product dont do it!! or if your not worried about the bare cast! dont do it! If your building street engines dont do it! Im not trying to talk any one into anything ( its a process many shops use and Im one) Some one told the man to scrape it off or his engine would fail!!! If its applied right and its the right material he'll be fine!

Jester
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Haven't found a rattle can engine paint I like. All seem pretty low quality as far as appearance goes. I either powder coat or paint them w/ catalyzed base/clear urethane as used on the body. Looks great, very durable, and any color available.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Glyptal was developed ages ago for electric motors and the insides of various housings. In fact New Process Gear (New Venture Gear / Magna Powertrain) used to dip their iron cases in glyptal before final machining. We have cases that are over 50yrs old, with no degradation in the finish; even on the OUTSIDE of the casting where it had been chipped off. Its hard to peel off. I'd suspect with proper prep and in the proper places, since theres no mechanical abrasion...its not coming off

To the OP; I don't like rattle cans usually, but the duplicolor seems to work well for what it is.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Glyptol was also used in chemical plants around sulfuric and hydrochloric acid reactors,to protect pumps, motors, etc!

Jester
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

engine enamel

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART

Bill Hirsch engine enamel is the best I've ever used, you can brush it on and it flows out as smooth as if it was sprayed. Forget that rattle can stuff, it's mostly reducer and very little pigment. The Hirsch paint is mostly pigment and a quart lasts a long time.

regards

Ron
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Last journal entry: My junk

I've used duplicolor ceramic it works excellent. Also POR15 it is also very good and when painted with a brush it flows out nice. Or you can spray it. I've also used urethane with hardner with good results. Jim.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
The "rattle can stuff" stays on just fine ....if you use a good quality paint made for the application and do the proper prep work before painting. Not eveyone has a compressor and spray gun to paint a block and related parts.
+1 on this

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.