Engine placement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine placement

I am new to the forum and have a question. I am currently building a tube chassis,Chevy powered, 1969 VW Squareback station wagen. I have a question regarding my engine placement in the chassis. What is the correct way to set up the engine motor mounts for proper angle of engine, front to rear.?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

engine mounts

wow... your doing from the ground up... so for me i'd hang the engine where u want it, level the carb plate of the intake manif and make the mounts how u need to and bolt it down. keeping the intake level then make the trans bracket..
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
wow... your doing from the ground up... so for me i'd hang the engine where u want it, level the carb plate of the intake manif and make the mounts how u need to and bolt it down. keeping the intake level then make the trans bracket..
Thanks for the reply. If I can figure out how to post some pics from Photobucket, I will.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill

Well, here is my question. I have been told to run the lowest point of my pan, even with the bottom of crossmember. I don't have a problem with that. I have also been told to run a level on my chassis side rail and level it. Next, set my engine in the chassis and put a protractor on my intake at the point where the carb mounts. Next, tilt my engine rearward 5-7 degrees. Does this sound like the correct procedure?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square
I have been told to run the lowest point of my pan, even with the bottom of crossmember...Next, tilt my engine rearward 5-7 degrees.
Two quick observations.

1) When setting the engine it is always important to keep your scrub line in mind. You don't want anything on the engine or transmission hanging down below that scrub line. In some cases, that will mean the oil pan can sit even with the bottom of the frame rails or the cross member. In other cases, it may have to sit higher in order for the bottom of the bell housing and/or transmission flex plate to clear the scrub line. It all depends on your particular application. So while the bottom of the frame rail or bottom of the cross member is a good guideline, the actual scrub line for the car is a much more important factor.

2) I set my engines with the carb mounting flange set on dead level. Most all engines I know of have their cranks set at a 2-3 degree angle down at the rear of the engine. If you tilt the engine at the carb mounting flange another 5-7 degrees, you will end of with a total crank angle (and thus rear pinion angle) of 7-10 degrees...which is getting pretty severe. My guess is that for racing applications the mounting angle can be steeper but for most street cars, I believe the intake manifold/carb is set on dead level.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square
Well, here is my question. I have been told to run the lowest point of my pan, even with the bottom of crossmember. I don't have a problem with that. I have also been told to run a level on my chassis side rail and level it. Next, set my engine in the chassis and put a protractor on my intake at the point where the carb mounts. Next, tilt my engine rearward 5-7 degrees. Does this sound like the correct procedure?

Like cboy pointed out.... Set the carb base on the intake level, That will give you right at 3* on the crank CL.. Set the frame level when setting up the motor and trans..You don't want to end up with the 7* Or 10* on the CL of the crankshaft like cboy pointed out...
Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

So, if I understand you guys correctl, I leave a level on my side rail and have it level. Next, I would set my engine in place where I want it, with intake manifold on and set my level on the manifold flange that is machined for the carb and then make sure it is level,correct? Also, I guess that it wouldn't make any difference if there were wheels/tires, shocks/springs already on chassis as long as the side rails are level/ As it sits right now, I have my coilovers and shocks on both front and rear. Would it be best to set my chassis up, off the ground on jack stands, level it front to rear and then level my engine? I know these are a lot of stupid questions but this is the first time I have done this and want it right the first time.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

You want your frame sitting at normal ride height front and rear which may not be exactly level front to back. if you designed your frame to be level at normal ride then yes level it first and then level engine trans at the carb mounting flange.

nice project by the way i like differnt stuff!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Junkie
You want your frame sitting at normal ride height front and rear which may not be exactly level front to back. if you designed your frame to be level at normal ride then yes level it first and then level engine trans at the carb mounting flange.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, going in, I plan on having the frame level. I am running the same size tires and wheels front and rear. I know that there are those of you that probably think I am nuts to do this, but I want it to look as stock as can be. You know, kind of a sleeper. But runs like the "mouse that roared". I have a brand new sbc 350/330 horse engine that will be going in it. Oughta be enough power when my wife wants to run to the grocery store, what do you think? If I change my mind down the road and decide on different tires on the rear,taller and wider, do you think that will present a major problem if I have my engine mounted like mentioned?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Junkie

By the way. Here are a couple pics of my frame side rails with the level leveled, front to rear. Also, with my mounts bolted to the "dummy" engine and level, leveled on the intake. You can see where I will have to trim down my mounting tabs and weld them to the frame if all looks right, which I feel it does. You can also see my old mounts I welded in that I did wrong. As far as the tires and wheels go, I am running 15" smoothies with Goodyear 195 x 60 all the way around. Need opinions. This car is going to be driven on the street only and as I said, I want it to look as much like a sleeper as possible, although the tires are larger than the original 5.60 x 15 Also, here is a pic of a model.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

So, getting back to my engine installation. The body is not mounted to the frame, so I do not have that weight issue to contend with. I worked on it today and have my chassis sitting level. I have the mocked up engine set in place and my level is centered while sitting on the intake manifold. My question is 1) Once the body is mounted, chassis will set lower. 2) Once engine is mounted in chassis, front end is going to go down. 3) Once gas tank is mounted, rear end will be going down some. Am I wasting a lot of time worrying about all of this or not? I just want to do this right the first time. H-E-L-P!!! Please.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.