Engine Placement/ Mounting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Placement/ Mounting

I have a 47 chevy stylemaster with a Camaro front stub. i have my sbc ready to go in. My Question is, what is the best placement of the Engine. If i put the motor in the camaro mounts, the motor seams to far forward. What is the correct, safest way to mount the motor back farther? Any Homemade ideas and or pics would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheine20
I have a 47 chevy stylemaster with a Camaro front stub. i have my sbc ready to go in. My Question is, what is the best placement of the Engine. If i put the motor in the camaro mounts, the motor seams to far forward. What is the correct, safest way to mount the motor back farther? Any Homemade ideas and or pics would be great.
If the motor seems too far forward, then whoever welded the clip in didn't take that into consideration and left too much frame rail on the clip when they welded it together, placing the stands too far forward. Not much you can do about it now except deal with it. There are a couple of different ways to correct the problem. First, I would chop out the OEM stands and get them out of the way. If you want to, you can re-use them by bolting them onto the motor mounts and lowering the motor into place and trimming the stands as you go or you can opt for aftermarket stands or a weld-in tubular crossmember that has the stands integral with the crossmember that you can weld into the clip. Then cut the OEM crossmember out of there if it's in the way and rebuild another smaller member or at least notch the OEM crossmember for clearance. Consider the relationship of the fan to radiator also. You might want to bolt all that stuff onto the front of the motor and make sure you will have enough room for all of it to work before you nail the new stands into place.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy-...DisplayId=3273
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/S-B-B-...ount,3273.html

And by the way, depending on the vintage of the clip, it may be too wide for the old Chevy. First gen Camaro might be ok, but anything later than that would probably be too wide in my opinion. This is just thinking out loud for any of you other fellows or gals who might be considering a clip swap into an early car. S10 would probably work better. '78-'86 GM "G" body would probably work better.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:

Back as far as possible will provide better header/rad. clearance; improve overall balance and handling.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
As far back as the distributor allows. Reason is handling and braking is improved when the weight is concentrated between the axles. This tends toward evening up the percent split of vehicle weight on each axle. Keep in mind that these masses when overhung change weight with speed and distance from the rotation center. Weight being equal to mass times velocity. Velocity of the overhung mass being the distance from the center of rotation, thus the apparent mass gets really big really fast with a little motion added in. Then smaller as the velocity decreases. Aaah, the fun of a suspension and brake designer.

Masses ahead of the front axle or behind the rear gain weight in cornering and suspension movements by their length (what's called Lever Arm) from the vehicles centers of rotation being turn and roll. So a little mass ahead or behind the axles has a much greater effect than would be supposed, witness the Corvair as originally conceived had a large rearward overhung moment from that axle and a suspension system design inadequate to manage those moments in high speed maneuvers, result was Ralph Nader and lots of wrongful death lawsuits.

Bogie
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Well thats what i thought. The front sub frame is out of a 70 camaro. the front clip was on the car when i bought it, just no motor. The guy has done numerous cars this way. So i know the frame works with the body. But as far as moving the motor back. I have seen other local hot rodders take basically a steel plate, weld it to the original engine cradle with the overhang toward the firewall. Then use 2x4 metal tube to make the mounts. I have seen this on a few cars, looks kinda sketchy. what do u think. I think i prefer to go off the frame. Just looking for some pics of what others have done.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.