Engine Rebuild. HP?? Torque?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Rebuild. HP?? Torque??

I am rebuilding a 350 from a 1970's era truck. I am going to put this into a landcruiser for trails, trips, maybe a daily driver, towing, etc.

I want to make sure that I have enough HP and torque to tow my crap around if I need too. I do not need a crazy amount of HP and torque. I need more then anything reliablilty.

Any suggestions on how far I should bore? I was thinking .020. It is at stock now. Cam? Pistons? Valves? Timing?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

I wouldn't bore it out at all unless the cylinder walls require it. You can easily get 350-400hp and 350-400 foot pounds of torque out of a 350 depending on what you do. Also, 350's are about as reliable as they come.

However, if you are going to bore it out, go .30 over and put in a new crank with a 3.75 inch stroke to make the thing a 383 stroker motor. Good power and great torque. In the end, it depends on how much you are willing to spend on your project.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

in my opinion, for what you intend to use it for, you should be aiming for more torque than horsepower. finding a good "rv cam" would be your best bet. as far as the machine work on your block, just machine it out as far as it needs to go to be straight. if it ends up being 0.010, 0.020, 0.030, or 0.040 that is what it has to be to be correct. stock crank, stock rods, new bearings, new gaskets - everything that needs to be replaced to work. with your heads, get them cleaned up as well, and maybe a mild port job or valve job or both! you might even want to find different heads that would bolt on (vortec) and could be found cheaply. intake manifold too... 4bbl aluminum with a nice 500-600cfm carb on top. there's million different "stock-type" options you can go through to keep costs down. as far as reliability, every engine would last long if it was assembled properly and never abused while driving. dont expect it to last long if you spun it 7k rpm every day!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I am on a budget so I think that I will try to stick to stock as closely as possible. The temptation is there though to really give this some power, but I don't want to break any axles or drivelines on the trail.

I would imagine that I probably would not need to get forged pistons, hyper-cast would work ok...thoughts??

You are right on about the torque, that is mainly what I am aiming for here. With bigger tires, 35" probably, I will need at least 300 ft lbs, if not more with a trailer behind me.

Also I will be running an NV4500 behind the 350.

Thanks again, it is greatly aprreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

I suggest you try the crane cam for RV applications and put it 4* advanced. You will get tons of low end torque, good vacuum and it idles right smooth. Use a 600 cfm carb too.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.