Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine rebuild or new Long Block
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In most cases I would suggest building it yourself. If your referring to a small block chevy they are a breeze to rebuild. But In this case being you want to stay in the budget then I would suggest getting a crate engine from GM. They have several engines with several horsepower levels at a good price plus they are backed by a warrenty. I`ve seen some get remanned engines from Advance auto, Autozone and the like, seen many have issues and had to start all over again. One friend of mine installed the engine and ran it about a month, it ran hot on him and the block cracked in the number 7 cylinder from top to almost the bottom. Also heard of horror stories concerning other remanned engine companies so it makes the GM engine look better as it eliminates alot of hassle, once you buy it from a parts store chain, they don`t want to see it come back and will give you a hard time asking you 20 questions trying to lay the fault on you. They do this on common parts like starters and etc. so they really give you the drill on a engine. With the GM engine your getting what you pay for, with the parts store chain engines, your not getting much, as the companies that reman them put "rebuilder" pistons that have .020 off the compression height which kills compression, quench and power. The engine will be a slug and drink gas.