Is engine rebuilding a dying art? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You are starting to make me shake. The last engine part I purchased was rings and yikes they were speed pro. Fortunately for me they rusted and never got used and I am now looking for a new set of rings. I contacted JE and they have the size I need but I neglected at that time to ask where they were made. Probably because I had my heart set on Childs&Albert rings. I didn't purchase them yet but now I will be asking where they are made. Sorry, but my 400 Mopar was made in America or shhhhhhhhh Canada (never dug into where this and that were cast back then) and I am not sure if it can run on parts from India or Pakistan.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 09:37 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

building it yourself and having it blueprinted, its going to have exact tolerences whereas a crate engine comes off an assembly line with questionable internal parts and usually a 1000 dollars more but if you dont have time i can see
Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

I will call these folks tomorrow and see if they are USA parts: http://www.tpr.co.jp/tp_e/products/p...istonring.html
Old 12-12-2006, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Forget it, they are home based in Japan. Guess this is going to be more difficult than I think! Shucks!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummin67
onovakind. I sent you a PM last week. Did you get it?

Strummin
No, I didn't get a PM. Last one I got was 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I ain't dead yet.

tom
Old 12-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

It is not a dying art, it's getting harder to find them though.

I got your PM, I know of 2 good shops. Both here in Gilroy.
I know of a couple that were good at one time, but may have gone in the crapper,
I know of a few that are definately scary.

Do you have a core motor? What are you starting with?

I deal with Gilroy Automotive machine. Small shop, attention to detail and honest dealings is why I like dealing with them.
He is not cheap, but he's very good. He will build it the way you want, as long as your chioces are reasonable.

Paul over at Rossi's is very good also. But you need to let him tell you how you want to build your motor.

I have a few friends in the valley that I can ask who they use.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

Hi Mike.

I don't have anything yet. I'm just asking questions so I can decide how to proceed.

Strummin
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If that's the case then if I were you I'd buy a crate motor and start collecting all of the parts that go with it, brackets and pulleys and exhaust and all. Mexican and asian parts are every where. I try to find usa parts when ever I can, sometimes it is impossible with the way they lable stuff you don't know who made it.

( I'm starting to not really care about some of it.)

OR start looking for a donor car that has enough parts on it to make it worth your while..

A friend of mine just picked up a 89 5.0 gt mustang for free, the body was totaled but the engine and trans was good.
Another friend of mine just sold an 88 rs/ss camaro with a carburated 350? that ran real good for 350.00. The body was beat to hell, but much of the stuff a guy would need for a swap was there.
Look at craigslist in the free section. If you keep kooking there sometimes gems show up.
A freind of mine is building a 40 chevy with swap meet parts. He went through 3 junk cars until he found a motor good enough to put into his 40. I don't think he has spent more than 100.00 total for the motor and trans. But he has spent a fair amount of time dragging junk home and dismantling and discarding hulks of cars.
His neighbors love him.

The prob with free or cheap donor cars is that they may have already been rebuilt or have cracked blocks or who know what. Your chances are a little better with a junkyard, at least they'll give you another block if yours turns out to be junk.

Ultimately you will spend time and money to do this.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-13-2006, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

"But he has spent a fair amount of time dragging junk home and dismantling and discarding hulks of cars.
His neighbors love him."

Back to the space issue: I have a 10 x 8 shed. That's it. The park I live in doesn't allow it's tennants to work on cars and my wife would kill me if I brought a parts car home. I am at the mercy of the shops now. $$$$

Strummin

Last edited by strummin67; 12-13-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Well I guess that's the end of it. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Strummin
Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
I ain't dead yet.

tom
I would miss your rather pleasurable post's. Please don't die.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Strummin, don't count the crate motors out. ALL engines today are built from parts from all over -- even Japanese cars have parts made in Korea, China, and Taiwan -- even a few parts form Europe and the USA!! Depends on where the car was built -- some of the Japanese models are built over here, you know, so body stampings and misc. parts are made over here -- some are cheaper to purchase locally than ship over.

Go with a known good builder for a crate replacement engine. Someone like Jasper. Sure, you'll hear a few horror stories about Jasper engines. Fact is that they build thousands of engines a year -- there will be an occasional problem with ANYTHING built in large numbers. Percentages work in your favor -- that loud complaint is likely one in several thousand that had a problem. It's a known fact that pleased people won't say a thing, but tick someone off...

If you have the money you can go with a crate engine from GM itself. Those will be new blocks, not rebuilds. I'd recommend buying a short block, but you've already stated you can't work on the car at home, so putting on the heads and such then putting the engine in is out of the question. If your existing heads are good or at least refurbishable you might want to discuss just buying a short block with whoever is going to install the engine. There may be some of the guys on here in the area that would work a deal on installing the engine at there place. If I were close by (I'm on the wrong coast!) I'd do something like that, on the grounds that you were renting shop space and help, no guarantees on anything. I'd even assist in building an engine, but again with no guarantees. You'd have to double check everything and make decisions. I plan on offering "classes" doing just that when I get back to SC (retiring form the USAF this summer!).
Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Hi Farna.
Thanks for your advice. I have a 6 in my car now. I'd like to find a complete, running engine, buy a V8 kit from any number of Nova part sources and have it installed. I've calculated costs to be around $3000 for a used engine, the kit, the labor and an exhaust system.

Strummin
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

For what its worth I looked at Childs&Albert site and "they" say on there that their rings are made in the USA. Ahhhh, you take that with a grain of sand since a lot of you say that some things are re boxed.

Quality control is another issue, yea the crate engines might be made with cheap parts from all over the world but the 455Olds we had built by a local shop neglected to check the valve spring retainer to underside of rocker arm clearance and well it eventually dropped a valve, long story short 2 sleeves and some bottom end work as well. With performance engines you take your chances either way.

Strummin, I don't care what way you go, 6 or 8, its your ride but a mildly warmed over inline six is the ****!!!!!!! I have been looking for a 60's econosedan with a in-line 6 in it for a while ($500 car ya know), just for the plain fact that they are economical, different, sooooooo smooth, and giggles factor low rpm torque. I had a 258 in a AMC Concord once and what a blast that thing was.

Either way, hope it works out for ya.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.