Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Removal and Replacement

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  64nailhead 
#1 ·
What is the average time to remove and re install 402 from a 1972 El Camino

#5 ·
motor swap

I'm sure there is shop owners on the site who can give you a good estimate on the time....I would guess no time at all , I'm disabled with a spine injury and I pulled and placed a motor in my elkie with the help of my wife in a little over 4 days and that is starting and stopping...back, legs and arms really limited my work....good luck

#6 ·
Small world, I'm 69 years old, pulled a TH350 and installed a TH400 in my '72 in four hours by myself just yesterday, I felt like I dogged it.

If I had help removing the hood I believe I could have had the 454 out in another hour and a half at most, including dropping the headers and draining coolant; reinstalling would go about the same.

Do you have a quote yet from a local shop?

Attachments

#8 ·
Back in the hotrod shop days this used to be a one day job assuming the replacement motor was the same vintage. Headers and non stock items were cost adders. AC, power brakes, power steering and manual or auto Trans were other factors. AC is a Problem if it still has freon 12.

The shop should be able to give a flat rate plus adders. I'd surely get an itemized quote. Don't be afraid to ask about over runs and unforeseen problems. 10 % is usually allowed.

This one is not too difficult but the killer can be stuck bolts and nuts especially exhaust headers or manifolds.

We used to give an itemized quote and add a cushion " not to exceed". It always looked good if we came out under quote. I still do this today.

#9 ·
Depends on several factors that you haven't mentioned yet. Does the car run? How long has it been since the motor was removed (time and miles)? Was/is the motor installed correctly (implying that no torches, cut off wheels or die grinders will be needed)? Is this a show car with an immaculate exterior and engine bay detail?

With the answers to those questions in mind, if you are asking for a professional job by a quality guy/shop with a warranty then $800 wouldn't be too much. Add on as necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.