Hot Rod Forum banner

engine removale

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  dsraven 
#1 ·
trying to remove motor from a 1996 blazer 4by4 took 3 bolts out of flywheel and bolts out of the bellhousing. engine still wont split from the transmission . any help is appreciated

#6 ·
engine removal

is this a manual or auto? manual trans don't have a torque converter, just a flywheel that is thicker with a clutch bolted to it. when the bellhousing splits from the engine, the trans will just pull out of the clutch, unless there has been some damage to the clutch hub or trans input shaft. if it is an auto, make sure all the torque converter bolts are out, push the torque converter back into the trans to be sure. then make sure all the bellhousing bolts are out. sometimes they can be stuck on the 2 big alignment dowels in the back of the engine. try just giving it a little pry in that area. othewrwise, lift the engine just a bit, with a blocking system under the trans, and then rok things some while you pry.
dsraven

#8 ·
cinderella said:
cinderella here . 6 bell bolts out 2 motor mount bolts out 1motor mount out and 3 flywheel bolt out manual trans will try prying between the the flywheel and tourque converter starter hole is small thanks for the help

Seriously why are you removing the flywheel bolts to pull the engine anyway ?
And your sure you have all the bell-housing bolts removed ?
And which transmission is it anyway manual or auto you say manual but you talk about the converter ? :confused:

Cole

#13 ·
motor removal

just for giggles, is this an automatic or a standard? automatics have a flexplate, skinny thing, like the thickness of a quarter, with a toothed ring welded onto the outside perimter. standards have a flywheel, much thicker like about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.the dead giveaway is that the standard trans vehicles have an extra pedal hanging under the dash. ha ha. (hey joking here, but nobody has made that little point yet, standard or auto?)
if it is a standard, there will be no torque converter bolts. if it is a standard you don't have to remove any flywheel bolts, the transmission input shaft will slip right out of the clutch, unless there is a previous clutch problem and the shaft is hung up on exploded parts. the clutch and flywheel stay on the engine until after the engine is removed.
if it is an automatic, look through the starter hole (if there is no inspection pan under the front of the trans) and make a crayon or chalk mark at the first torque converter hole bolt you come to.turn the engine over by hand and remove all the torque converter bolts as you go. when you find yourself back at the crayon mark, waah-laah, they are all out. even if they were still all in, the engine would still split from the trans, it is just that the torque convereter would be still attached to the flexplate.
it sounds like you have some alignment dowels that are giving you grief. if you have made sure that all the bolts are out and motor mounts and stuff are all undone, jack it up a little and pry the sucker apart. you could try some penetrating fluid on those dowels and leave it for awhile to work. you could try a hammer and punch on the dowels (from the back side, like you are trying to push them out the frontside, just enough to loosen them up), you could try the screwdriver and hammer trick between the two housings at the spot where the dowels are located, that sometimes helps to loosen the dowels. just don't crack the housings. if all the bolts are out., there isn't much left that can hold it up except the dowels or maybe a siezed pilot bearing in the end of the crank, the trans input shaft would maybe be stuck in that bearing.if that is the case there isn't much you can do about it except use a prybar. if the clutch linkage is still hooked up, try stepping on the clutch pedal, sometimes that will force it apart.
good luck, and some clarification on auto or standard would definately help us help you. if it is a standard, stop talking automatic terminology. not trying to be grumpy, just saying.
dsraven

#14 ·
eloc431962 said:
Seriously why are you removing the flywheel bolts to pull the engine anyway ?
And your sure you have all the bell-housing bolts removed ?
And which transmission is it anyway manual or auto you say manual but you talk about the converter ? :confused:

Cole
That's exactly what i am trying to find out, "MANUAL" OR "AUTOMATIC" this is a need to know thing to help there are usually three converter bolts but usually 6 flywheel bolts and as stated you don't have to remove the flywheel bolt's to remove the transmission. :sweat:

Cole

#15 ·
manual or auto

ok Cole,
listen, there lots of guys, including myself, who call the flexplate a flywheel sometimes. maybe that is leading you into confusion.guys will call the flexplate bolts the flywheel bolts or vice versa. the thing we need to know, to help you out, is if the transmission is an automatic or a standard. do you have a clutch pedal in the car or not. if you have a clutch then it is a standard transmission, a stick shift, a manual shift. it will have a flywheel not a flexplate. if it is an automatic, then obviously there is no freakin clutch pedal, and there will be a little indicator that says park, neutral reverse etc etc. get that info and we can go from there.
now if it turns out that it is an automatic. then do the thing with the crayon or chalk or whatever so you know you have removed all the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flexplate, that big doughnut shaped thing behind the flexplate. when all the torque converter bolts are undone slide the torque converter back into the trans as far as it will go, maybe 1/2 an inch if you are lucky, but definatley will move backwards away from the engine. now you know it ios for sure disconnected from the flexplate.now, if all the rest of the bolts are undone on the bellhousing and engine mounts etc, you can try to seperate the engine and trans.
if it is a standard, remove all the bellhousing bolts and engine mount bolts and seperate the engine from the trans, it should slip apart easily when the two parts are finally disconnected.
let us know how it turns out,
dsraven

#16 ·
dsraven said:
ok Cole,
listen, there lots of guys, including myself, who call the flexplate a flywheel sometimes. maybe that is leading you into confusion.guys will call the flexplate bolts the flywheel bolts or vice versa.
dsraven
cinderella said:
cinderella here . 6 bell bolts out 2 motor mount bolts out 1motor mount out and 3 flywheel bolt out manual trans will try prying between the the flywheel and tourque converter starter hole is small thanks for the help
Thank's dsraven, Listen, but i'm not the one who is confused here the "OP" is. i know the difference between a flywheel and a flex-plate although like you i will sometimes call one the other. I also know the difference between a manual trans and a automatic trans but again the "OP" don't seem to know. JMO But when someone say's something in the line off 3 flywheel bolt's out manual trans will try prying between the FLYWHEEL and CONVERTER. they do really need some help IMHO and that's all i am trying to do here is help someone out the best i can. and find out just exactly which trans they do have.

Cole

#17 ·
apologies

Cole,
hey, sorry man, I was confused there about the who's who thing. seems like cinerella has a few issues about standards or automatics. anyway, i think the engine is just stuck on the locating dowels at the back of the block, but he was talking about it being a standard and undoing the torque converter bolts so......I was trying to understand what the heck is actually going on and what is actually unbolted.
anyway, my apologies to you.
dsraven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.