Engine RPM is Intermittent - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Temple City
Posts: 53
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreak1976
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html
check this out good info in this article.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...199R9786-2.pdf
this one is technicly awsome info, and they have a tech line you can call also.
give them a try. but take care of that fuel pump thing first before resetting anything, and a regulator with a guage.
something like this it doesnt have to be this one, but this has everything you need.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-13205/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-15632/
those are regulators
for fuel pumps something like this will be just fine
this one will rock your nuts off
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-815-1/
but you can get away with this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3136-2/
take a look at this stuff and let me know



K well I fired the car up this morning and got iidle some wat I took air cleaner off and I cud see gas comin out of both squirters at idle is that a sign of to much fuel pressure I have both floats set where gas is jus below site glass.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: loves park il.
Posts: 106
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406MOUSE
K well I fired the car up this morning and got iidle some wat I took air cleaner off and I cud see gas comin out of both squirters at idle is that a sign of to much fuel pressure I have both floats set where gas is jus below site glass.
ok did you hook up the regulator and running off just one pump? or did you just try to adjust the floats. during a idol the fuel should be trickling out but not streaming almost like a fast drip. in the site glass type i like to go about 1/4 way up the glass or just below.
how did it idol when you adjusted the floats? you know that theres a fast idol adjust ment on the throttle linkage it should be a phillips screw just turn it in just a bit in stead of feathering it to keep it running. that could be a simple fix till you get the stuff figured out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Temple City
Posts: 53
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreak1976
ok did you hook up the regulator and running off just one pump? or did you just try to adjust the floats. during a idol the fuel should be trickling out but not streaming almost like a fast drip. in the site glass type i like to go about 1/4 way up the glass or just below.
how did it idol when you adjusted the floats? you know that theres a fast idol adjust ment on the throttle linkage it should be a phillips screw just turn it in just a bit in stead of feathering it to keep it running. that could be a simple fix till you get the stuff figured out
I just raised the floats no regulator yet its on order but I get gas dripping out of the discharge nozzle(center squirter) at idle and when I pull off the vacuum port on carb yo check vacuum gas comes out. What does tht mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: loves park il.
Posts: 106
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406MOUSE
I just raised the floats no regulator yet its on order but I get gas dripping out of the discharge nozzle(center squirter) at idle and when I pull off the vacuum port on carb yo check vacuum gas comes out. What does tht mean
pull off another vac hose somewhere and see if theres fuel in the system, in the vacuum system, pull a couple of hoses one at a time and see if theres fuel in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Temple City
Posts: 53
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=inkfreak1976]pull off another vac hose somewhere and see if theres fuel in the system, in the vacuum system, pull a couple of hoses one at a time and see if theres fuel in there.

There's also fuel coming from rear vacuum port
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: loves park il.
Posts: 106
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=406MOUSE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreak1976
pull off another vac hose somewhere and see if theres fuel in the system, in the vacuum system, pull a couple of hoses one at a time and see if theres fuel in there.

There's also fuel coming from rear vacuum port
your going to have to drain all of your vac lines out, or blow them out with a air gun. do you have a fuel return to the tank. i think you have a over psi in your fuel system, and i would also recomend a carb rebuild. you could have blown a seal or a diaphram somewhere. fuel in the vac lines is no good. if you have a vac canister to boost vac that also will have fuel in it also that will have to be drained. check your oil, and break booster for signs of fuel also. if you have fuel in your oil it needs to be changed. i personaly would stop trying to adjust the carb.. wait out till you have the regulator. once you have the regultor and vac lines drained of fuel. with out starting the car adjust your reg. pull the coil wire and see where your fuel psi is at use a bud to crank in small intervails hit 8 psi connect the coil and see how it runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Temple City
Posts: 53
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=inkfreak1976]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406MOUSE
your going to have to drain all of your vac lines out, or blow them out with a air gun. do you have a fuel return to the tank. i think you have a over psi in your fuel system, and i would also recomend a carb rebuild. you could have blown a seal or a diaphram somewhere. fuel in the vac lines is no good. if you have a vac canister to boost vac that also will have fuel in it also that will have to be drained. check your oil, and break booster for signs of fuel also. if you have fuel in your oil it needs to be changed. i personaly would stop trying to adjust the carb.. wait out till you have the regulator. once you have the regultor and vac lines drained of fuel. with out starting the car adjust your reg. pull the coil wire and see where your fuel psi is at use a bud to crank in small intervails hit 8 psi connect the coil and see how it runs.
no i dont have a return line ok yea ill check on that in the morning and see if the oil has fuel in it.
if i have to much psi will i be able to see it in the site glass has more gas than where i have it set at or is it forcing it self into the motor. i did rebuild the carb not to long ago i bought a demon rebuild kit. also whats it mean when i turn the idle mixture screws in and it doesnt kill the motor? i also have a holley 850 carb that is brand new that a friend let me barrow do you think i shud try that out and see if there is a difference with the idle mixture screws.


can you also tell me if i am correct on my timing knowledge. I have a pertronix billet dist for a small block chevy which also has vacuum advance but i dont use that. im not sure how much mechanical advance the dist has with out any advance stoppers but i think its 24 deg. so lets say i have my initial timing set at 20 deg. then i take the 20 + 24 mechanical advance to give me a total of 42 degrees total. and depending on where all that advance comes in at RPM range has to do with the springs you use. Is this correct. So this is what i am running 20 degress initial at idle and i have a 12 degree mechanical advance stopper that only lets the advance go to 12 degrees. so then with 20 + 12 i get a total timing of 32. Is this Correct? Do you think that Is a good starting point for timing with all the engine specs i gave you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Still running strong
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakehills Tx
Posts: 590
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 52
Thanked 44 Times in 42 Posts
You really need to pull out a spark plug or two and see whats going on.Maybe Im wrong but I thought that when headers glow that ment you where way to lean.The spark plugs will tell.Why your using two fuel pumps seems to be overkill to me.Your fuel pressure is to high 7 to 8 psi should be enough.If this a street driven car you need to use the vac.advance.Is your compression that high 11 to 1 or did I read that wrong,if it is that high then you need to be running av-gas or something around 100 oct. Rocket brand.The reason you've got gas in the vac.ports is because your deadheading your carb.(no return line) w/ 9 psi.Get a fuel reg.that has a return port, your return line only needs to be 5/16.You should get some help from some body who knows how to tune carbs. like someone who'll bend over the hood an learn ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: loves park il.
Posts: 106
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=406MOUSE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreak1976

no i dont have a return line ok yea ill check on that in the morning and see if the oil has fuel in it.
if i have to much psi will i be able to see it in the site glass has more gas than where i have it set at or is it forcing it self into the motor. i did rebuild the carb not to long ago i bought a demon rebuild kit. also whats it mean when i turn the idle mixture screws in and it doesnt kill the motor? i also have a holley 850 carb that is brand new that a friend let me barrow do you think i shud try that out and see if there is a difference with the idle mixture screws.


can you also tell me if i am correct on my timing knowledge. I have a pertronix billet dist for a small block chevy which also has vacuum advance but i dont use that. im not sure how much mechanical advance the dist has with out any advance stoppers but i think its 24 deg. so lets say i have my initial timing set at 20 deg. then i take the 20 + 24 mechanical advance to give me a total of 42 degrees total. and depending on where all that advance comes in at RPM range has to do with the springs you use. Is this correct. So this is what i am running 20 degress initial at idle and i have a 12 degree mechanical advance stopper that only lets the advance go to 12 degrees. so then with 20 + 12 i get a total timing of 32. Is this Correct? Do you think that Is a good starting point for timing with all the engine specs i gave you?
this is what i would do, i would take your timeing back to 0 deg on your cam, get your fuel issues fixed. and see how you run. once you have a couple hundred miles on the engine. slowly advance your timeing to get the tune you want. and i would also invest in a spark advance mod like a msd or pertronics box. and run high octain fuel. i was noticing what you posted about your valve and cam deg. and your exhaust is not bleeding off at all for that high of compression. i know its a pain in the *** but take it to zero match the marks at 0 and then tune you carb. i know that the car runs but, with the headers glowing hot and the problems with the rpm and carb. youd be better off sstarting from a factory seting then seeing how you run, then advance your tune in slow incraments sometimes going full blast when building a block can bite you in the *** and leave you with big head achs.
this is how i build my stuff, and run it. unless you have a dyno and some one that knows hoow to tune. setting your timeing that far advanced then putting it in the car and hopeing that who ever gave you the advice is right is a huge gamble. youve done alot of work on this engine and invested alot of money take it in steps and go slow. and remember what works for one builder doesnt always work for another. good luck and keep me up to dat of what you plan on doing and be very detailed how you do things i or someone else can help easyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
engine rpm 41 kustom Engine 4 10-15-2011 06:58 PM
Max torque of engine at what rpm? sb72elcamino350 Engine 2 01-26-2005 12:11 AM
engine RPM issues ataririder Engine 6 01-02-2004 10:25 AM
Determining engine rpm? axle bastard Engine 5 05-21-2003 07:11 PM
Engine RPM vs Speed Bill Ford Transmission - Rearend 4 10-13-2002 06:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.