Engine running at ATDC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine running at ATDC

I bought a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron with a 318 V8 engine. I bought this car from the original owner and the car still had the “Lean Burn System” which left me stranded when I tried to take the car to the transmission shop to repair the automatic transmission. Once the car was back at home I already had the electronic system from Jegs (ECU, Distributor and Wiring Harness) to replace the Lean Burn System. Before switching to the new ignition system I wanted to check the engine time and it was running close to 30deg ATDC , I blamed the “Lean Burn System” , which controls the time, for how rough the engine was running.

I made sure that my #1 was TDC at compression, mark on damper was right on 0 deg. And I installed the distributor with rotor pointing to #1 tower. Engine started with 2 or 3 cylinders, backfiring and only after I rotated the distributor clockwise and damper mark was again in the range of 30deg ATDC all the cylinders fired, any time I try to bring the time close to TDC it just stall. I have the shop manual for the car and It shows engine must be timed at 16deg BTDC.
I have been thinking that probably the timing chain has jump some teeth, what do you guys think about this problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu42 View Post

I made sure that my #1 was TDC at compression, mark on damper was right on 0 deg.
Did you use a piston stop to determine TDC or was it just a SWAG?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

With spark plug off you could see piston head as high as it can goes up.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu42 View Post
I bought a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron with a 318 V8 engine. I bought this car from the original owner and the car still had the “Lean Burn System” which left me stranded when I tried to take the car to the transmission shop to repair the automatic transmission. Once the car was back at home I already had the electronic system from Jegs (ECU, Distributor and Wiring Harness) to replace the Lean Burn System. Before switching to the new ignition system I wanted to check the engine time and it was running close to 30deg ATDC , I blamed the “Lean Burn System” , which controls the time, for how rough the engine was running.

I made sure that my #1 was TDC at compression, mark on damper was right on 0 deg. And I installed the distributor with rotor pointing to #1 tower. Engine started with 2 or 3 cylinders, backfiring and only after I rotated the distributor clockwise and damper mark was again in the range of 30deg ATDC all the cylinders fired, any time I try to bring the time close to TDC it just stall. I have the shop manual for the car and It shows engine must be timed at 16deg BTDC.
I have been thinking that probably the timing chain has jump some teeth, what do you guys think about this problem?
I'll X2 Tech's comment and add that it's likely the cam and crank aren't on the same page anymore, as you suspect. Going over the top or bottom of the stroke there are a lot of degrees with little motion, following what Tech said without doing the positive stop routine you're left to assume that the when the crank is aligned to the TDC mark that the cam is also. Since wear on the timing set almost always retards the cam, you find yourself putting in more ignition advance to keep the rotor aimed at the proper distributor terminal because the cam is taking the distributor with it having no regard for where the crank is. If it runs long enough; a quick and dirty check with the timing light is to rev it up a bit then snap the throttle closed this will run in then back out the slack in the timing chain and gears so the timing will appear to wander. If it moves more than a couple/three degrees then it's probably time to replace the timing set.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
cu42 (05-09-2013)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.