engine running hot after cam change - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine running hot after cam change

I had a .510 Comp cams cam in my 355 and the temp was normal but it ran like a terd because i missmatched a bunch of parts so I put in a 268H comp and put on a performer rpm intake instead of the Victor Jr. The engine performes alot better but the temp is always a needles width below 210. Before the cam change it never got above 185. I have a 180 thermostat in it. Also, the radiator seems to only want to stay half full. I'll fill it up the rest of the way but then it just dumps it back into the overflow catch can. The coolant I'm using is the Orange GM stuff, now my buddy tells me i can't put that in my engine because it's an pre-86 block and has double hump heads. I do have flat top pistons and am hoping that the compression isn't to high and is boiling the fluid out. Never overheats, just wants to run at 210. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 83 K10 Silverado Thanks, Sam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

With the smaller cam, you may now have more compression, giving you a heating problem. With more duration and overlap on the bigger cams, compression is bled off to a degree. With a smaller cam, the bleed off of compression goes away and you can end up with more compression. 210 is not bad, just watch it carefully and maybe change the antifreeze and install a new 15 pound cap.

Mark
Old 06-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

A 10:1 cr 355 with a compcam 292H will have a dynamic compression ration of about 7.46:1

A 10:1 cr 355 with a compcam 268H will have a dynamic compression ration of about 8.17:1

Quite a bit of difference there between the two cams. Later closing point of the intake valve is the reason for reduced cylinder pressures (not overlap).

Make sure to use a 50/50 mixture and may be try a new and stronger cap.

Last edited by 454C10; 06-16-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:58 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

What intake manifold gaskets did you use?

tom
Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam83k10
I had a .510 Comp cams cam in my 355 and the temp was normal but it ran like a terd because i missmatched a bunch of parts so I put in a 268H comp and put on a performer rpm intake instead of the Victor Jr. The engine performes alot better but the temp is always a needles width below 210. Before the cam change it never got above 185. I have a 180 thermostat in it. Also, the radiator seems to only want to stay half full. I'll fill it up the rest of the way but then it just dumps it back into the overflow catch can. The coolant I'm using is the Orange GM stuff, now my buddy tells me i can't put that in my engine because it's an pre-86 block and has double hump heads. I do have flat top pistons and am hoping that the compression isn't to high and is boiling the fluid out. Never overheats, just wants to run at 210. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 83 K10 Silverado Thanks, Sam

Sounds like you've got an airlock in it to me, but it could be something else.

Did you remove the thermostat and fill the block, then put the thermostat back in? I also top mine off by removing a heater hose and using that as a vent while I fill it.

Do make certain you have the correct intake gaskets, and make sure you don't have the timing too slow. Retarded ignition timing makes an engine run hot.

Brian
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Could try a 160 stat.I don't like my engines much over that anyways.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:15 AM

I did fill it up through the thermostat hole in the intake but it does seem like I have some sort of air lock. If I was boiling the fluid my temp would be higher than 210, right. But if my cap is bad then it could be boiling at a lower temp. I used Fel-Pro gaskets, can't remember what number but they ain't blocking any holes if that's what your getting at. The radiator only ever staying half full has got to be where my higher heat is coming from. I'll try a new cap and if that doesn't work maybe a 170 thermostat. Going to be 90 up here today, should put it to the test.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just fire my engine up without the radiator cap on and let everything circulate for awhile and that gets the air bubbles out. My radiator is higher than my engine which allows the air to escape there. If for some reason parts of your engine are higher than your radiator, there is a possibility of air becoming trapped in those areas.

Kits are also made that you can clamp on where your radiator cap goes that will fill the radiator with fluid as air pockets are displaced.

210 isn't a bad temperature. I wouldn't want my engine much over that, but the engine does need to get hot enough to sufficiently burn off oil contaminents.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:55 AM

The overflow of the radiator sounds like a head gasket problem. If you fill the radiator and then watch the coolant level with the water pump belt removed.
You should not see any bubbles or changes in the water level. Do this on a cold engine for a short time.
Bob

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.