Engine running too cool...totally baffled! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Last journal entry: Front End
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Do'h

Well, after much head scratching and shoulder shrugging, I have my answer. I ran out, picked up a laser temp gauge to put a temp on the block after running 45 minutes in traffic. Gauge in Truck shows 105. Grounded the wire to the block, shows pegged hot...not a gauge or wiring problem...thank goodness! (I hate electrical probs!) Point the laser at the cylinder head...low and behold, 193*. Okay...Thermostat is working dead on. I ran hard, and I ran normal. Floored it, left plenty of tire behind, and also tried to drive very conservatively. Laser shows the same +/- 4*. Okay...Here I am thinking that I got a bad batch of thermostats, and now my thinking is that after three new sending units...all same store...I actually had a bad batch of sending units. I go to different store, try a different brand, change out the TSU, and Voila...Gauge in the truck shows exactly the same as the laser...spot on. Rises up about 10 degrees if I drive hard, and comes right back down. I probably could have told by the temp coming out of the vents...but just to make things difficult, well, the blower switch went out just before this happened, and I just don't feel like taking the dash apart yet to fix it! So...I appologize for racking everyone elses brains and all, but who would have ever thought! No me, obviously. Thanks though for all the great advise, there is no doubt about the knowledge base here. Have a great time with your projects, and look back to this post soon. (This week) I will post a link to a youtube video with this neck snapping 84 chevy! Long Live Bowties!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Wow, 3 bad in a row, but it does happen. Maybe Juan was having a bad day on the assembly line! LOL

Mark
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Sounds like you have a high bypass thermostat. Majority of coolant does not go thru the thermostat.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickenspilot View Post
Sounds like you have a high bypass thermostat. Majority of coolant does not go thru the thermostat.
3 year old thread, he probably fixed it by now

Chet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.