Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine running too cool...totally baffled!
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: Front End
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine running too cool...totally baffled!

Help!

Okay, I have searched the forums and found a couple of hints to my problem, and tried all the solutions, but for some reason, I still have no answer.
I have a SBC 383 stroker in a 84 pickup. New motor, just built it and it runs like a top! At first, I was running the old 2 row radiator on it with a brand new water pump. It ran a little warm...205 and that was in the winter, so it made me a little nervous about summer. (I live in Georgia.) So, I swapped a new 3 row radiator brand new, and that has not been a problem yet. Kept the engine nice and cool. Now, when I did this, I also decided that while the engine was drained, I'd go ahead and replace the thermostat. Put in a new Mr. Gasket 180 Therm. Sealed it up, and the engine never got above 110. After driving in town for 20 minutes, I can still put my hand on the heads, hoses...etc. I thought maybe I got a bad therm. just by chance, so I replaced it with another new one. Same problem. I check the gauge...it works...check the sending unit...works, and have mad certain that there is no air in the system, no leaks, and that there is water moving to and from the overflow tank. Plus, if it were really getting to 180, I couldn't hold my hand on the Cylinder head! Oh, one more thing, Mechanical fan, shroud, and a good fan clutch, so that has been checked also. Does Mr. Gasket just make Sh***y thermostats, or what? That is the only thing I can possibly think it might be. Anyway...This thing should run great if it's at 180, but at 110, it runs like an engine that is not fully warmed up. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.