Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine runs hot at highway speed.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkschopped67
I know this topic has been beat to death. I have research this site and read a lot about the subject.

I have a big block 460 ford crate motor that has just been broke in. I have Dakota Digital gauges and in town under 30 mph w/electric fans running the temp moves between 195 and 210. As soon as I take it out on the highway, (55mph) the temps quickly begins to rise to 225. Last night going up the hill to a car show ( 1000 ft elevation) the temp quickly hit 231. Once I came back down the hill the temp still wanted to stay at 218. I was hard to keep running at a stop light. Can you give me a list from first to last of things to check and what might be the problem.

Electric fuel pump
750 holley carb
gear drive
cobra jet heads
Aluminum Radiator from BeCool
MSD electronic Ignition
Cool Flex hoses

I need help so I do not ruin this motor.

Thanks
Kirk
Typical of not enough radiator, to a lesser extent lean mixture, retarded timing of either or both cam and distributor.

What is this engine installed to? Many custom installations in classic 1920s thru early 1940s bodies have trouble flowing enough air thru the core at speed. Especially prevalent with open hood installations where the air flow finds it easier to go around the radiator core than thru it, this problem only gets worse as speed goes up and mysteriously goes away at idle when the fans are effective.

My first guess would be the aluminum radiator is either insufficient in size or has an inability to keep air passing thru it as speeds go up.

Bogie