Engine runs hot at highway speed. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

any updates?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Yes here are the updates. The first thing is the timing was retarded. I advanced the timing and the temp started to fall with in a minute or so. On the highway it was over 230 degrees. It dropped down to 212 degrees. Still not happy with the results; I did a spark plug test. I ran the truck at 35 mph for a 1/2 mile and shut the engine off and coasted to a stop. Right there I pulled a plug from each side and found that it was still running to lean. I made an appointment to take it in to a Hot Rod shop where I live to have the jets changed. Out of the box there is no way that all these parts are going the be able to work together without being adjusted.

I did go to a car show this weekend. I had to set in line for about an hour. The temp stayed at 183 degrees and it was 102 outside. Advancing the timing really helped. I will have it tuned and I believe it will solve a lot of problems

Thanks for the help, I needed it.

Kirk
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Running without a t-stat with a water based coolant is a no-no, ...reason why is that a water based coolant needs to develop pressure for it to work properly. Without the t-stat the system does not get up to the correct pressure.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

I had pulled out the t-stat that morning, but I did not run it. Someone knew what I was thinking. So that night I went and reinstalled the t-stat. I figured that the t-stat was not the problem and It would not fix it . The timing and the jets in to be adjusted to work together.

Kirk
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Less tha 13volts at the battery really screws up the gage readings as well.

low voltage/bad connection will show a high temp (in my case 30*)
It will also cause a low oil pressure reading (as much as 20#)

I spent 2 years beating on an overheat condition that was really just a bad alternator.

My 454 in the 59 ---base timing at 18*
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetdart
Running without a t-stat with a water based coolant is a no-no, ...reason why is that a water based coolant needs to develop pressure for it to work properly. Without the t-stat the system does not get up to the correct pressure.

Not exactly. Even without the t-stat, pressure will develop. The reason for pressure ais basically to crank up the boiling point of the coolant's water base. For every 1 psi pressure increase, the boiling point goes up 3.25 *F. What running without a t-stat does is allows too much flow through both the rad and the engine. This prevents heat saturation of the coolant. The coolant does not stay in contact with the heat bearing areas of the engine long enough to absorb enough heat energy, and then does not stay in the rad long enough to transfer any heat energy to the airflow through the core. This causes a compounded effect of some heat removed from the engine, but not enough released to atmosphere. You then end up with overheat, as well as localized hot spots in the engine.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

sbchevfreak's

Thank you for the post. I did not know how it works. I now understand why we need t-stats now. I am going in for a tune-up at a local hot rod shop. I will post the out come and how well the truck performs.

I am having second thoughts on the torque converter that was chosen for me. I will post about that later today, because I do not believe this application is correct for the driving I want to do.

Kirk
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM

If you have a flex fan try a solid 5 blade fan. It solved my problem in my sbc. I could idle all day at 180 as soon as i got on the road the temp shot to 210 and up. Changed the fan and the engine wont go over 180.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

sbnova. If you look in the top left corner of all posts you'll see a date on it.
This thread is 3 years old. Likely the problem was solved a long time ago.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.