Hot Rod Forum banner

engine ?'s

902 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  4onthefloor 2 
#1 ·
what's up people?I'm new to the site and an amature at building good performance engines.I recently bought an all original 70 Chevelle.I want to add some hp,but I don't want to break the bank.I ran across some double humps,but I hear that I need to change my pistons to dished pistons??Any suggestions on my build-up?I wanted to also use a Eldelbrock aluminum intake and carb.What is the differance between dual and single plane intakes?:confused:

#2 ·
A single plane manifold is better for high rpm engines and dual plane is better for lower rpm engines. Also, a manifold with longer runners will produce better low rpm torque and shorter runners will produce better top end power. I can't see any reason why you can't use flat top pistons with camel hump heads. I've used the combintation before, I their is a disadvantage, I would like to know myself!!

#3 ·
The double bump heads will work fine with your 350...might have to run premium gas though.

If you have an automatic, go with a dual plane manifold.

A cam and headers would probably be a better move before the intake. Are you running a 4 bbl now?

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah I heard that with doublehump or camel hump,you neede to bring the compression to 10??And I was told in order to do so ,Iwould need dished pistons and possibly run premium gas.I want to build the engine all the way so yes the cam and everthing would be added at the same time.I have about $2000 that I want to put into this 350 and it will only be my weekend cruiser so I want some good thump in him. :thumbup:My plans were:4bbl eldelbrock and intake, mild cam.What about headers??I always hear that they will leak.Are they using cheaper headers when thesay this?or maybe cheap gaskets?One shop in the area wants $1800 for a balanced and blue printed 350 over .030 but I have to supply the intake and carb.How does this sound?Or are they trying to beat me over the head:spank:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.