Which engine should I put in - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

As suggested forced induction will make it easy to get there, but it is not the only thing I would do.

Find a decent aftermarket head, AFR's and such are nice but a well prepped import head will work just as well to hit 500hp. Next, upgrade the cam going with a little more duration and more lift, for a turbo car with a good set of heads a 215/220 roller cam with .500"+ lift will work nicely, and it will be pretty mild with a wider LSA, 110-112. Finally install a good single turbo system and upgrade fuel pump and injectors along with good tuning.

It will be a super mild 500hp, probably only need 8 pounds of boost or so to hit your goals with those parts, and as long as you watch your compression can be built to run on regular gas (87 octane).

Sizing your turbo properly is EXTREMELY important for good street manners, its more expensive but going to a good turbo shop for a custom built unit will pay off in driveability.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Not a turbo guy,but what about the bottom end at 500hp and just logical deduction leads me to think exponentially as the turbo spins up it would require a better octane gas.As I said not being a turbo guy I don't know where that requirement for better gas would be as apposed to the amount of boost.

More output from a engine is more heat,thus forged pistons,ring gap's set for turbo/supercharger,upgraded rods,and some sort of upgrade for a crank just in case the one time the car hooked hard,would all be in play I would think.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Not a turbo guy,but what about the bottom end at 500hp and just logical deduction leads me to think exponentially as the turbo spins up it would require a better octane gas.As I said not being a turbo guy I don't know where that requirement for better gas would be as apposed to the amount of boost.

More output from a engine is more heat,thus forged pistons,ring gap's set for turbo/supercharger,upgraded rods,and some sort of upgrade for a crank just in case the one time the car hooked hard,would all be in play I would think.
It depends on the cam, compression, intercooling, and the turbo used. The turbo used is often overlooked as most people don't understand how complex they are.

With a good aftermarket turbo that is properly sized moderate compression and boost and a mild cam, and decent intercooling there's no reason a stock short block couldn't handle it. You shouldn't have any need to spin over 6,000rpm either, and RPM is much harder on an engine than boost.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post

Yeah bottom end is not going to take 500 for very long. I have seen it done and last a while but i have also seen them pop on the dyno. So its always a gamble to not upgrade all the weak point. But many people have good combos that will live on the street and make 400-450ish. I am not a ford guy so cant really help. Maybe someone will jump on and help with what you can do before you go into the block.

You will need premium with any supercharger or turbo upgrade and without pistons or some other changes to low static compression its going to knock before it hits 500. 5 or 6 psi is possible with the stock block and premium gas in most areas and weather conditons. You dont want to build something so border line its not going to drive on 100 degree day in the summer or start when its 15 below out in the winter.

You can buy super charger kits from vortech and paxton that will meet your needs and they have great recommendations for install and other parts that will be needed to make it work correctly. I can do turbos for next to nothing but really the supercharger kits a so easy and saves so much time. Just to bolt it on and be rocking fast the next day. Turbos are a little more tuning and playing with the setup. I think you can just buy a stage II or stage III super charger kit that will give you the power you are looking for. I bet they even sell one that is a bolt on for the stock engine and just need injectors and fuel pump updates. May not hit the full 500 but you can get a lot of jump and run out of the stock engine with boost.

If you want to go bat ***** just google kenne bell.
Kenne Bell Homepage
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project mustang View Post
This is my first project car and I'm wanting to put in a new and better engine in it than what is in it now. It is a 95 mustang with the 302 boss engine and I have a brand new t5 transmission in it. The engine runs fine right now but I'm wanting to know what would the best engine be to put in it for more power but at the same time be able to have a good cruise in it every now and then. Any help would be great because I'm not that good with engines.
Your plan is flawed from the beginning. The T5 is barely adequate with a stock motor, much less 500 hp. And you're starting at the wrong end of the car.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM

I dont think you should start with the engine.First thing to do is the brakes,suspension.Depending on how serious you upgrade the brakes,new wheels might be in order and of course tires. Traction control devices and posi traction as required.
Stage II would be the transmission/engine trans plant,including exhaust upgrades for application.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 AM

I'm not starting with the engine. It needed a new transmission so it could be driven around. I haven't touched the engine or transmission since then.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

I hope you have fab skills. A friend of mine built a twin turbo 347 for his mustang using a fair amount of junkyard parts. He eventually got around the 500hp mark. Auto trans, refurbished/modified diesel truck intercooler, aftermarket heads and some OEM turbos which he later swapped to a big single diesel truck turbo. You could grab 2 turbos for a 2.5L or thereabouts engine, and make it work with what you've got. It'd be fun to drive. Its not the RIGHT way; but its been done 100 times before. With respect to the ecm; there are some backyard tricks which arent efficient or precise, but work.

Every kid says he wants 500hp. Thats nice; but the quickest way to get a kick in the butt is to change the rear gear in your current car and ditch the T5 for a TKO. Add in a hotrod muffler and just drive and enjoy it. If its your only car, adding things like turbos or superchargers and pulling the motor for a rebuild, will quickly get old...you'll end up with a half finished car and probably sell it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.