Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine shutoff while driving
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine shutoff while driving

The other day I was out running some errands and stopped at a gas station. I came back out, started the Jeep and drove through the parking lot and out into a side road when my Jeep just shut off. Nothing like gas, bogging, etc. it just died. I tried to start it to no avail. The engine is an AMC 360. Coil is currently Blaster 2.

I had it towed home and started looking to it. The only thing I could see obvious was that the ballast resister was low on the out terminal, around 2 volts. I got a new one at the correct ohm setting and it look fine now but it still wonít start.

It has a typical wiring of battery to ignition to ballast resister to pos term on coil. Neg on coil goes to tach and dist. There is also a wire from the starter sol to the ballast resister, same term as the ignition wire.

With ignition on I am getting 12 volts from the ignition. I am getting around 6.X volts out of the ballast resister and same on coil from there. I have bypassed the ballast resister with ignition wire to pos coil term and get around 11.6 there.

I had my wife start the Jeep with me holding the coil HV wire, dist end about ľ inch from the block and see no spark. I changed to another coil I had and a new HV wire and saw no spark there as well. I have made a new wire that reads good, I have tested resitance of the coil and it is right on. I removed the neg bat wire from the block, cleaned and reinstalled. I cleaned all of the connectors for the various components, etc.

I am lost at this point and donít know where to look. Could it be the dist itself? The condenser? The points were recently changed and look ok from what I can see but I have not done this before. The dist is a Mallory Series 25 Dual Point.