Engine shutoff while driving - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine shutoff while driving

The other day I was out running some errands and stopped at a gas station. I came back out, started the Jeep and drove through the parking lot and out into a side road when my Jeep just shut off. Nothing like gas, bogging, etc. it just died. I tried to start it to no avail. The engine is an AMC 360. Coil is currently Blaster 2.

I had it towed home and started looking to it. The only thing I could see obvious was that the ballast resister was low on the out terminal, around 2 volts. I got a new one at the correct ohm setting and it look fine now but it still wonít start.

It has a typical wiring of battery to ignition to ballast resister to pos term on coil. Neg on coil goes to tach and dist. There is also a wire from the starter sol to the ballast resister, same term as the ignition wire.

With ignition on I am getting 12 volts from the ignition. I am getting around 6.X volts out of the ballast resister and same on coil from there. I have bypassed the ballast resister with ignition wire to pos coil term and get around 11.6 there.

I had my wife start the Jeep with me holding the coil HV wire, dist end about ľ inch from the block and see no spark. I changed to another coil I had and a new HV wire and saw no spark there as well. I have made a new wire that reads good, I have tested resitance of the coil and it is right on. I removed the neg bat wire from the block, cleaned and reinstalled. I cleaned all of the connectors for the various components, etc.

I am lost at this point and donít know where to look. Could it be the dist itself? The condenser? The points were recently changed and look ok from what I can see but I have not done this before. The dist is a Mallory Series 25 Dual Point.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Still learning .... happily

What type of ignition system is it. Is an old standard type using ign points and coil or does it have an electronic control module. In any case the points are an intermittent ground allowing current to flow through the coils primary winding and then stopping it so as to collapse a magnetic field in the coil. If the points are dirty of the wire interrupted or if it has a condenser / small metal can hooked to the points the circuit wont work. If it's not electronic it will be easy to test. Using a test light attach the clip to the engine in a non painted surface and turn the ignition on. You will have removed the distributor cap prior to this point. Points closed the light should not light up as the voltage is going to ground through the points. Points open the light will light up. If this doesn't happen you need to discover why and resolve it. If the car has an electronic ignition system do not use a test lamp as some systems don't respond well to a low impedance lamp being used..... that means a standard test light.
Bill
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsea
I had my wife start the Jeep with me holding the coil HV wire, dist end about ľ inch from the block and see no spark.
Have you also checked the coil secondary wire ("HV" wire) to see if it's still OK? The other thing that comes to mind is a bad condenser.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
WOW, I could have had a V8!

Last photo:

Unhook the tach signal wire & try it.
I had a bad tach cause a similar problem.

Jon
http://1972vega.wordpress.com/
Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Jon -- That was gona be my suggestion. Ya beat me to it. A bad (or grounded) tach will do it.

PatM
Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

No luck. I have bypassed the wire from coil neg to dist as well as wired straight from bat pos to coil pos and removed the tac. Still won't start.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Is it points or electronic

Chet
Old 04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Is it points or electronic
It's a points set-up Mallory Series 25 Dual Point. Chet

Cole
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

I bypassed the wire from the coil neg to dist as well as wired directly from bat pos to coil pos just to test with no change.

I guess I need to start looking at the dist at this point.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 PM

If you re-read my earlier post it will shed some light on the diagnostic procedure for a standard ignition
Bill
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Bill. I don't happen to have a test light at this point nor a working car to go get one. Catch 22 or chicken before the egg?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

OK, I disconnected one set of points and get a spark. I disconnected the working one and connected the one that was disconnected and get a spark. I connect them both back up and no spark.
Can I remove one set completly and run single until I can get another set?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM

nope, they work as a set but something isn't set up correctly. Replacement of the dual point dist is something to consider as they require a distributor machine to get set up really right. A single point set up or even a later electronic hall effect system would be an improvement including dependability.
Bill
Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM

A thought, for the test to work the circuit for the points has to open or closed meaning both sets of points need to be open to collapse the field in the coil so if one isn't working correctly it wont work. A search for dual point ignition is needed for a better circuit explanation. I did look at Summit hot rod parts as I have a catalogue and a complete HEI distributor is like 170.00 and a Pertronix point replacement set is 70.00 so it's not all that expensive to resolve. I would probably go for the HEI as it has a coil and the whole system built into it. Summit, Jegs, Speedway are all good sources for parts.
Bill
Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

I removed one and it fired right up. It started to bog after a while and shut off. I installed the other one and removed the one I left and it fired up and never stopped.

Turns out the first one was rubbing the mount screw for the point so in my testing I must have moved the wire correct.

I am looking into a replacement as the one I have now I can't get parts for locally. I can order some replacement parts for around 70.00 that will turn it into an electric one and I won't have to worry about this anymore.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.