engine sputters @ low RPM - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine sputters @ low RPM

ok long time no post =p. im back with more problems in my mn12 tbird. recently ive ben using it as a daily driver. Saturday i had a real bad over heating problem that was easily fixed by a new fan motor & a new fuse. but now my engine sputters like crazy on completely normal acceleration. Even just getting out into traffic it almost stalls. If i get a slow start & feather it to a higher rpm it seriously misfires. I have brand new plugs so i dont see why its doin this. Ive pulled my heads and looked at the valves & springs & none of them are warped or broken.. could this be my injectors flooding the chamber or not giving it enough fuel? BTW its a sohc 4.6l incase any of you were wondering. All i know is im ready for a new car =p. Any input would be Greatly appreciated. thx again guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Ayuh,....

Have you changed the Fuel Filter lately,..??..?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Are you certain it didnt crack the head or blow the head gaskets? Missing after a overheating issue sure points the finger in that direction.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

i havent checked the fuel filter. i didnt even think of that lol thx. and yea im sure i didnt crack the heads or blow out the gaskets because i repalced them both when i replaced the fan motor i pulled them again this morning and theres no evidence of cracking or a blown gasket. no coolant in the oil or vice versa. i checked the intake manifold for leaks too and found nothing. its also (within the last 12 hours) developed the worst evidence of sucking air ive ever heard. ive pulled the throttle body and coldair intake and found no leaks. i really dont know whats going on wth this thing. like i said im just ready for a new car. maybe ill get rid of the sputtering (if i can find it) and sell it to the unsuspecting illegal immagrant , seeing as how my county is full of them =p. thx guys
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

RE: engine sputters

Hi ok first of all what 4.6 do you have windsor or romeo?after taking the heads off did you put new gaskets on? the head gasket for windsor an romeo blocks are different same bolt holes different water jackets(overheating) did you eye the heads after overheating? or did you get them check by a machinist? are you losing rad water? it only takes a little water for the engine to act up! when you overheated did water go onto the engine? if so pull the plugs new or not, check for any sign of water on them and in the wire boots, the 4.6 hates water and l mean hates!!! l've got 2 of the 2000 ford 4x4 and a 2002 crown vic both with 4.6 but the truck is the pain in the a.. if it gets water on the plugs, l've had it happen and it took me 3 or4 times cleaning them up to get it to run right, it feels like its missing on cylinders, heres a fact for you the romeo block can handle up to 900 hp as the windor can only handle 600 hp hope this helps! nothing worst than not knowing TROY
Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

well im barely pushing 300hp. and as for it being a 4.6l 281w or r i have no clue. its a 95 tbird lol thats all i know. mostly all i do with it is race or drift. this is only started since i started using it as a daily driver. what it feels like is the classic case of pop n go syndrome it idles fine & runs great at high rpms (when its moving) but just normal accleration it bogs down & the it missfires or back fires (loud pop from the cyl's) and then struggles to 2 grand on the tach. after that its fine. now when its sitting still (park or neutral) and i rev it it has serious bogging problems itll hit 3grand & bog down , pop, & fly up to 5 grand. ive never had this happen. im getting the oil changed tomorrow. as im 300miles over due =p. i havent had a machinist check it. the heads are brand new and so are the gaskets as of wednesday.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

also the last time i changed the plugs (3-4 months ago) the porcelain was pink (rust?) could that have ben from water?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

you bet your toto 3 to 4 month old plugs really shouldn't have moist marks,if the porcilen gets to wet it will misfire, my truck drove fine at 60 mph but sounded bad bring up the rpm, sometimes even though it was going to die,but yet idled fine, did you check your timing? overheating sometime can stretch the timing chain and you got miles of the timing chain(double cam) but by the sounds of it, l think its moisture in the plugs and wires TROY
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

its only a sohc 4.6 remember ford wanted to down scale the 281 before they dropped it in the thunderbird so it wouldnt rule over the mustang. the timing hasnt ben checked since i bought the car in 95' lol so that might be a problem. ill look at the new plugs and see if these are pink too. if so ill run out n buy new ones. what would you suggest as far as that. last time i was short on money and spent $16 on all eight of them together hehe. thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Platium Or Platium Plus, If One Of Your Wires Is Wet It Will Transfer The Moisture On To The Plugs, Old Trick Take The Plugs Out And But Them In The Oven At Low Heat For Say Half Hour To Dry Them Out And The Wires Get Them Inside To Somewhere With Alittle Warmth For Overnight, Heat Pipe From A Furnace, Put The Plugs Back In And Time It An Give Her A Go Troy
Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

thanks again guys. great support from u guys & great help.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

If you didn't say the problem started after overheating i would say it sounds like a dirty mass air flow sensor or a vacuum leak in between the throttlebody and the mass air.i've seen that more than a few times on thunderbirds and cougars with 4.6's in them. all it takes is a loose hose clamp on the air intake to cause a problem like you discribe. only take a couple minutes to check . anyway thats my .02 cents
Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

that i checked & just as a second comfort i used a lil gasket maker paste to seal em up good n tight. i havent checked the MAFS to see if it was dirty or not. i need a new one anyways this one hardly works with my cold air intake. oh btw does any one know where i can find a heatsheild / filter chamber to bolt up to my air flow intake just under the bumper?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.