Engine Stalling and other gremlins - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Stalling and other gremlins

I have a 67 Mustang Coupe 289, Holley 570 street avenger carb, weiand Stealth manifold, 218 Duration cam, HiPo K exhaust manifold into 2" dual exhaust and a C-4 tranny. My problem right now is that when I put it into gear after it is warmed up the RPMs start to slowly decrease until it stalls unless I give it a little throttle or slip it into neutral RPMS come back up to 900. In addition to that my oil pressure starts to drop when the RPM's are below 700. I rebuilt the engine 4 years ago but only drove for about 5k miles before it sat for about 2 years I ran it every few weeks. The carb and intake have only been on the engine for about 600 miles. The carb's vacuum advance port is not pulling any vacuum at idle which may account for the stalling spent 3 hours trying to adjust it to get the vacuum to increase. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome I'm running out of them.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

Wait... not pulling any vacuum? Where'd you get the carb? (Was it rebuilt and out of the box or did you pull it off of another car and never rebuild it or...?) Get the vacuum working. My '65 would stall under load, but there was alot more to it than that (interior of my C4 was trashed and things like that). Maybe Docvette will sign on soon and you'll get lucky!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:03 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMustang67
I have a 67 Mustang Coupe 289, Holley 570 street avenger carb, weiand Stealth manifold, 218 Duration cam, HiPo K exhaust manifold into 2" dual exhaust and a C-4 tranny. My problem right now is that when I put it into gear after it is warmed up the RPMs start to slowly decrease until it stalls unless I give it a little throttle or slip it into neutral RPMS come back up to 900. In addition to that my oil pressure starts to drop when the RPM's are below 700. I rebuilt the engine 4 years ago but only drove for about 5k miles before it sat for about 2 years I ran it every few weeks. The carb and intake have only been on the engine for about 600 miles. The carb's vacuum advance port is not pulling any vacuum at idle which may account for the stalling spent 3 hours trying to adjust it to get the vacuum to increase. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome I'm running out of them.
r u sure that its not ported (pulls vacuum on accel)??? put a guage on the port and rev the motor, if it pulls vacuum on accel, then ur on a ported vacuum. and its pretty common to have it hooked up that way... u can try running full vacuum and adjust ur timing from there... gl.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM

It's a brand new Holley out of the box. I have to run the RPM's fairly high before it pulls any vacuum. The port is the designated vacuum for the spark advance. I got through to Holley Tech they said to pull it off and back out a screw adjuster underneath the secondarys. Can't get to it while it's mounted. I"ll try that today. I also got a rod knocking I'm hoping it's just not torqued down enough. Get close to getting evrything right and something always comes up to keep you busy. Try doing heavy maintenance with a 3 and 7 year old running around. Until her legs get long enough I can't get her help with the car.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

been there done that Holley street avenger is the worst carb I've seen
had a 670 after three power valves new bowl sights(the clear ones are for temp. us) and a rebuild i called the 1-800 # in the instructions the guy told me that the 670 flows air more like a 550 my response was how could you market the thing as a 670 then he would not answer told me to send him the carb(to Tennessee!!) on my dime and he would fix it!! never again ill rebuild an old Holley or get A B.G.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.