Engine stalls when trans put into gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 01:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine stalls when trans put into gear

I own a 57 Chevy sedan delivery. (see attached photo)It has been a race car since the mid 60's. Starting as a junior stocker and then super stock in the late 70's. It has a C.M.C. prepared 60 over 283 with a 670 lift crane roller cam, Holley 700 dbl. pumper, Mallory dual point distributor, 1-7/8 fender well headers, 513 gears, 10 bolt posi rear. This car used to run high 12's with a cast iron Vitar power glide, 5000 stall speed converter and 7" slicks. The car was mothballed for the last 25 years. Recently we decided to put it on the street and have some fun with it. The power glide trans was no good and had been removed. We installed a rebuilt TH 400 with a 2500 stall speed converter in it's place and connected the headers to some side pipes.The rest of the car is pure 30 year old technology. We have it running, the engine still runs like a bear, and it's a work in progress. We are having some difficulty with the trans. When we put it in gear it stalls the engine. The car is idling at 1200 rpm. If we raise the idle to about 1800 rpm and put it in gear it will almost stall the car but it will keep running although you can feel the car straining. We are not sure if we were having an idle fuel problem or a transmission/torque converter problem. At 1800 rpm droping this in gear creates quite a lurch. We have driven it on the street and it shifts fine. Everything else seems to be working good. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Did I mention the fact that me and my buddy have not wrenched race cars fin the last 25 years and have forgotten most of what we knew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57 front and side (3).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	16415  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Niice car...sounds to me like you need a higher stall converter..but that is just me..maybe some others might have something to say on this..

Sam
Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

RJ57 has a couple of these
I think he is a 57 chev freak
He even has one of the Tradesman wagons (windowed delivery--no back seats)

Welcome
Bryan
Old 11-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

A major vacuum leak will cause the motor to want to stall at idle, too. If you have any 25 year old rubber vacuum hoses running to the engine, check them for cracks. Although, most full on race cars don't have much vacuum operated accessories.

It could be the idle circuits in the carb or too radical of a cam or any of a dozen other things. If you suspect the carb, especially if its been setting up for 25 years, try and find someone who can loan you a different carb to see if thats the problem.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I would verify the carb condition and settings..... engine timing too.

the converter could have some problems.

What is the history on the converter? New? Used & sitting around for years?

Old 11-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Engine stalls when trans put into gear

Thanks for the quick replies guys. To answer some of the questions.
We have checked for vacuum leaks and found none. Cam is wild and registers 6" at an idle of 1000 rpm.
The only vacuum hose on the car is the one running to the modulator on the trans and that is new.
The converter was purchased new when we installed the trans not too long ago. We previously had a new converter installed that was 1500 stall speed and changed out for the 2500 thinking that this was the problem. Same result.
Carburetor is less than three years old and was purchased new. Float settings and idle mixture seems to be fine. We have tried drilling 1/8" pilot holes in the primary butterfly's like the Holley hop up tip tells you and we even changed the power valve from the 10.5" stocker to 4.5" and still no difference.We thought maybe when we put it in gear and the vacuum drops that we were starving the idle circuit. When we put a light on it the timing seems to be very advanced, some where in the neighborhood of 28 - 30 degrees at 1200 rpm and we have tried moving the distributor and even backing up a tooth but we can't seem to get it to run decent any lower. We have forgotten what we used to time this thing at but we do remember having to power time it at 2000 RPM with the Delco dual point distributor that we are still currently running. Is there anyone out there who could give me some idea of where this timing should be . I have the cam spec's. I am going to call Crane next week to see if they can help. As I said we have driven this and it seems to run like a bear other than a slight hesitation from idle to full throttle this thing still screams.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.