Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Stand

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  NorthStar 
#1 ·
I will be rebulding the engine in my '53 Packard Clipper pretty soon. Right now the block, crank, and 6 of 8 pistons are sitting on a wooden stand in the garage. It is sturdy, but is not very easy to work on. Where can I find an engine stand strong enough to hole an inline 8cyl engine that will weight a little over 900 lbs. when completely built. I have looked at Jegs and Summit, but the stands that they have look like they are kinda short on bottom, and will tip over. I would like one that has all casters on bottom and spins 360* at the engine. Any suggestions as to where else I can look?

Chris

#5 ·
I'd look long and hard at any cheaper engine stand before I put that chunk of iron on it. It's probably almost twice as long as a V8, therefore it will have almost twice the leverage as a V8 as it tries to bend/break/tumble the stand. My old 750# Chinese stand had a warning in the instructions not to use with an inline 6, I assume for that reason. I use a 1250# one now. If the 1250# stand will handle 1250# with the center of gravity 12" out from the mount plate, it would only handle (theoretically) half that with the COG at 24".

#9 ·
http://order.harborfreight.com:9100/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp

If you have to how about a 1 inch think triangle of plywood to hold up the front at the crank. Just cut a hole in it big anough for the crank to stick in and put a big washer and polt back in the end of the crank to hold it. That will at least keep it from bouncing as you work but you'll have to remove it to move the engine around.

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the responses

But, all those stands are for V8s. I dont think that they will handle a straight 8, without tipping. And that would be a problem, cause I can't pick this thing up by myself. Heck, it took 5 guys counting me and the movers to get it to our new house. I do like the idea of standing on end though.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.