engine stand bolts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 03:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine stand bolts

Is it safe to use my tranny bolts to mount my sbc 350 on an engine stand? I'm just curious if it will strain the bolts too much or if I should get higher grade bolts? (though I'm betting tranny bolts are quite tough, hehe)

I just want to make sure before mounting it, because I don't want to have my engine hit the floor, or have it hit the floor and I'm under it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2003, 04:24 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

You can use them if they are long enough but I doubt they are. Just go to the hardware store and get some grade 8's if they aren't long enough. All in all you might have 2 or 3 dollars in new bolts.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2003, 07:12 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have collected a lot of bolts over the years and keep the ones that are long enough for the engine stands in a container so marked. Also, have a bag on the engine stands with the proper bolt lengths in them so I don't have to waste time looking !! Like Kevin, don't think the tranny bolts are long enough. You need about 1/2" thread engagement to be on safe side.

Trees
Old 08-19-2003, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

Be sure & get AT LEAST grade 5 bolts, preferably grade 8. Many hardware stores only carry grade 2, which are JUNK. I broke a 1/2" grade 2 bolt with only a couple of box-end wrenches & my shoulder was already messed up at the time. Don't trust an expensive engine to junk fasteners. Take one of the arms of the stand with you for measuring. Try for 3/4" thread engagement, but bring home some extra washers in case one of the bolts won't go in that far.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:09 AM

Last photo:

Today I went to a place here called bolt supply warehouse and they have every bolt under the sun. I asked the owner of the shop for some grade 8 3/8th bolts with 1 inch of thread and 3 inch of non thread stainless steel bolts which fit PERFECTLY to my engine stand. I also bought some washers just in case for perfect fit and not to have the bolt strip the pretty paint off the stand, lol. Thanks for the tips and info, now I have a safely mounted engine that I don't have to worry about causing an accident.

PS: I am a safetly nut, though somehow I get hurt often, lol.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.