engine is stuck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 05:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine is stuck

hi all, ive got a problem. ive got a 69 olds cutlass with the 350 that hasnt been run in about 2 years and i cannot seem to get the engine to turn over at all. at first i thought it was lack of power so i hooked up a new battery and nothin. i checked all the wires and they seem in order, i also put a rebuilt starter on and the same thing keeps happening. when i turn thr ignition the starter gear connects with the flywheel teeth and sticks in the teeth and wont move.
i CAN turn the engine over by hand, although not as easily as it should, so i know the engines not siezed up. so does anyone know what to do cause im all out of ideas. i sprayed some liquid wrench into the spark plugs holes to help loosen up any rust in the cylinders but still nothin. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2004, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

I would take the plugs out and see how easily it turns without compression.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Talking Oil'er down

I just got a 327 going that had been sitting since 2000, be sure that you drain the old oil out of it as it will not be good anymore and after refilling most of the way with some fresh stuff pop off the valve covers and pour a small amount of oil into the lifter rod sleeves and over the valves. Not sure of your setup but you can also put a bit of oil onto the piston sleeve through the sparkplug holes (unless it's horizontal like mine) and give it a few turns by hand to get some going through there. If your motor is turning by hand that's good, likely not seized. You may also want to pull your starter and give the gears a good coat of some grease. When I first started cranking it was a bit hesitant, but after a few minutes and a few starts it was lubed and ready to go... It runs great now (original 327, stock 67 Camaro)
Old 06-05-2004, 10:22 PM

Theone61636,

Pull the spark plugs and put some automatic trasnmission fluid in each cylinder. Turn the engine over by hand a few turns. Let it sit a day and put some more fluid in again. Then put the spark plugs back in. Put sone "Marvel" top oiler in the fuel tank with some fresh gasoline. Then give her a crank with the key. Some people use diesel fuel in the cylinders I just like the trans fluid.

Good Luck
Scholman
PS
Schooool's OUT for SUMMER!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:55 AM

Shes gunna need alot of top end lubrication. After sitting for so long its all drained into the crankcase and now the top end is compleatly dry, as a rule of thumb regardless of how well its turning over, you should still change the oil, remove the plugs, and pour in some lubrication, ATF, diesel, whatever you chose, when it first starts and there is no oil up there for that short period of time, a lot of problems can arise.

Automatic 4T60-E 4 Speed TCC
253,030 Kms to date, all original
MSD coil packs/8.5mm wires, High Flow CAT converter.
Lots of other things to...
Old 06-06-2004, 01:04 AM

thanks so far, i did already change the oil, i just forgot to mention that, an dthe plugs were off when i was trying to crank the engine. ill try the transmission fluid thing tomorrow, i sprayed som eliquid wrench in the spark plug holes to sit overnight and if that doesnt work then ill go ahead with trans fluid.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

i just started a big block that had been sitting for quite a while in the shop, all i do is to squirt some WD-40 on the rockers and give it a good 15 second spray into the carb while cranking, the (engine will actually run on wd-40 alone) and it lubes and seals great in the cylinders..
Old 06-06-2004, 09:02 AM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Are you sure your battery terminals and cables are in good shape?

Since you can turn it over by hand I would think it should turn over with the starter. (unless you're using a 4 foot cheater or some such.)
Old 06-06-2004, 09:30 AM

yes the battery terminals and the wires are all new. what happens is when i turn th ekey the gear from the starter meshes with the flywheel and they stick together bu tth estarter can tturn the engine over and then i have to turn it by hand to get the starter gear to disengage. and ive already used two different starters and both of them work...i tested them off the engine first so i dont know whats wrong.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

sounds to me like you have one of two things, either your starter needs to be shimmed (if the clearance is too low it will jam when it engages) or you have some bad connection propably your ground from engine to chassis... try and connect the negative from your batt, dirrectly to the starter and see if that doesnt help... (im betting on the ground being bad)
Old 06-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

I'm with deuce_454, sounds like your starter needs shimmed. If you can crank it by hand the starter should turn it.

One problem I've had with engines that have set long is valves sticking. The cure that has worked for me is some Marvel Mystery oil added to the crankcase.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

getting started

I'm with Deuce 454, sounds like low voltage to the starter
Old 06-06-2004, 04:10 PM

yeah i was wondering about the ground from the battery cause the only grounding wire is connected to the back of the alternator case and a small ground lead connected to the frame. should this be grounded anywhere else? what other ground should i check? it actually had 2 shims already and it was still stickin.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
a small ground lead connected to the frame
thats your problem right there. replace the small lead with a big braided ground strap from the negative terminal on the starter to a good connection on the frame, and it should fire right up..
Old 06-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Ground leads sound like part of the problem but the starter shouldn't be sticking, add another shim or two, otherwise you'll be eating starters once you do get it going.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.