Hot Rod Forum banner

engine styles

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mustang66maniac 
#1 ·
I would like to know what would be better(crate 302 w/ 350hp motor or rebuilding my original 302 stock motor), because I was told that the original 89 mustang engines had better cylinder walls than the new motors that you buy in the crate?

#2 ·
well heres the story, when they first started putting the 302s (5.0s) back in the mustangs, i think in 1979 they started using weaker (cheaper) blocks. Ford racing performance parts says not to build a stock 5.0 to more than 450hp. Not that youll have that problem. Depending on the crate motor you get, it might be the same block. From ford racing you can get crate motors with the sportsman block, which can handle 600 horses or you can get aluminum blocks that can handle 1200... theres something for everyone. So i guess if it were up to me i would get the crate motor, it takes the guess work out of it. Just do some research.

#3 ·
i agree. a crate motor from a reputable dealer is a power proven combo. and usually with a warranty. unless you have alot of experience with power packages, or building these engines. rely on someone elses trial and error. after building a few, and honestly totaling up the tab, a crate motor usually gets more bang for the buck.

#5 ·
the thing you have to understand about crate engines is that they come down the same assembly line that standard passenger engines do, they are not built to specs just wrenched together like all the others... with a self rebuild you can make sure everything is right and you know exactly what is in there

#6 ·
what? No engine builder in their right mind would just "wrench together" a crate engine, especially if their reputation was on the line. Think about it, youre building an engine that you want to sell that will satisfy somebody both reliability and performance wise. Do you really think that you will carelessly put it together. Most crate engines that you buy have better performance parts and stronger parts in the engine than what it came with from the factory, and yes everything is put together the right way with PLENTY of attention to detail. Take roush racing for instnace, they are abviously into nascar and make 302 crate engines. Do you think think that an engine could stay together handling 7000 rpm making 750 horsepower going 500 miles nonstop if they didnt have attention to detail??? And yes they have the same attention to their street crate motors. Just think about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.