Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine swap

895 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
I want to install a sm block Chevy in my 1963 ford fairlane. Is their any suggestions for this project. I know the fairlane will accept the small block ford engines but since I have this good Chevy V8 I would like to use it. I know the ford people are going to have heart attacks putting a Chevy engine in a ford

#3 ·
I agree with Junior. It will fit, probably need some surgery to the shock towers( they are as narrow as the '65-'66 'stang), the SBC is wider than the SBF. You will wind up with a car that has lost most of it's value, because it is no longer Ford powered and had to be chopped up to make the engine fit...go with one of the plentiful 302/5.0 engines available and sell what you have to a Chevy guy. OR, you could sell the car to a Ford guy and get a Chevy body for your engine. I would pass on the swap.

#4 ·
woodz428 said:
I agree with Junior. It will fit, probably need some surgery to the shock towers( they are as narrow as the '65-'66 'stang), the SBC is wider than the SBF. You will wind up with a car that has lost most of it's value, because it is no longer Ford powered and had to be chopped up to make the engine fit...go with one of the plentiful 302/5.0 engines available and sell what you have to a Chevy guy. OR, you could sell the car to a Ford guy and get a Chevy body for your engine. I would pass on the swap.
Thanks for the feed back I agree the idea just crossed my mind since I had this good running engine. I guess I find a late model 302 out of a stang maybe. I do not want to make it a hot rod just a nice cruiser. This a 2 door basic unit so I it will not be real fancy just clean. I may post some pictures on progress. I know I will be coming to everyone and asking question since I have not been playing with cars for the last 20 years and things have changed. I want to know the last year for the single valve and roller rockers. I think anything else will be too wide. I also would like to use the latest 5 speed that I can mate up to that or maybe the beefed up C4. Some people used to call that a C5 truck transmission and not the C6. I want some ideas on that and what I will run into with the swap. I think I need to use the old 289 mounts from what I have read so far.

#5 ·
First , the 302/5.0 bock have the same mount points as the 289, so it will make it quite easy. If you use a C4( it's only a 3 speed with a 1.0 top gear so no overdrive), you can probably use a stock tranny crossmember. I'd go with a 5speed for the O.D. alone. AOD's and AOD-E's will set you back more than a new 5 speed, if you get a prepped one. All 302/5.0 engines are the pushrod wedge engines, the wide ones are the new MOD engines...2 different beasts and not something to worry about. All the SB Fords(excluding the 351W and C) share basic external dimensions, with the later ones being just a bit shorter( all in the waterpump area), and that isn't an issue with the Fairlane since it came with the longer variety. The biggest difference mechanicly, is the later 5.0s have roller hydraulic cams. Not a neccesity, but allows more cam choice.They can be retro fitted to a regular 302. Both are plentiful and I'd get one that fit your budget and go from there.

#6 ·
engine swap

Thanks for info. I think I want to find a roller assembly unit so I will look for the latest carburetor unit in that series. I have been going to the local junk yards and have located a 88 model 302 out of a stang. The price is right even for a rebuild on it. They have a C4 out of a truck that should work since they do not have a 5 speed system. This is all priced so I can build them before I install. I am ready to start this project. My wife is even eager for me to get it going, big plus.

#7 ·
Putting a SBC in a Ford Fairlane won't win you any friends on the Ford side thats for sure and SBC guys will probably look at it as a waste of a small block Chevy. :D

I agree with the other guys. Put a Ford in a Ford, especially anything after the 40's. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.