Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - engine swap
Thread: engine swap
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompske View Post
ok....so what about alternator,starter,waterpump swap from one engine to another? 350-305. The truck needs an alternator and serpintine belt, along with some other little small things.will the parts swap or interchange?

Thanks guys for your patience.
If its the same stuff fine but if its mounted in a different location. I would assume its not going to fit into the truck frame.

I would bet a long block swap is going to be needed. Computer for the 4x4 will have a different profile for a different cam and engine use. Also no sure if the computer is involded with the trans or 4 wd system. In newer trucks it is for sure but not real sure about an 89.

Power steering pump may be very different as well. Alt on roadmaster should be a 100 amp model. No harm in useing that.

You may want to search the forum on smog pumps and egr systems. They will also need to be working for what ever computer is installed.

Is the roadmaster going to the junk yard or are you going to swap the 305 into it? You can swap lump for lump and bring the harness over but it may be so different the truck wont work or wont have wiring for some parts. Engine harnes i think it should come loose on both engines wothout much effort. If the swap lumps and something does not fit ypu can always go back to the old engine and get what you need.

But many ppl have made the 350 swap you should be able to find some good info out there.