engine swap 1948 Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine swap 1948 Ford

I just purchased a 48 Ford F1 with the original flathead and manual trans. this is for my wife, and she won't drive a manual. i am looking at swapping out the engine and trans. with a 302 with AOD trans. does anyone know if the 302 will fit without to many modifications ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffin
I just purchased a 48 Ford F1 with the original flathead and manual trans. this is for my wife, and she won't drive a manual. i am looking at swapping out the engine and trans. with a 302 with AOD trans. does anyone know if the 302 will fit without to many modifications ?
I just sold a 50 F-1, it had a flathead in it, but I have a 5.0 in my 33 Ford and a AOD. the motor will fit, well for that matter both will, but like my 33 the F-1 has a pretty flat floor, with the AOD you will more than likely have to put a hump in the slope of the floor. I had to in my 33 seems the AOD is a little bigger, but it was no big deal.

Oh welcome to the site. Someone out there i'm sure has but that combo together in an F-1 and would know more. But I think it would fit.

35terraplane Bob
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

35 is correct, the sbf is probably the smallest V8 made, if it doesn't fit nothing will. Gonna take some fab work but thats part of the game...have fun.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Either she needs a different truck or you need a different wife.

No, a 302 will not mount with out a lot of modification to the frame, in the most simplistic terms the mounting of the flat head and the Windsor are completely different. This is not an overly complex job but it is a fairly large one, break out the Saws-All and the welder.

The engine compartment and transmission tunnel are large enough to accommodate the 302 and AOD. You'll need a modern rear axle to handle the power and introduce an open drive-line.

Bogie
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Either she needs a different truck or you need a different wife.

No, a 302 will not mount with out a lot of modification to the frame, in the most simplistic terms the mounting of the flat head and the Windsor are completely different. This is not an overly complex job but it is a fairly large one, break out the Saws-All and the welder.

The engine compartment and transmission tunnel are large enough to accommodate the 302 and AOD. You'll need a modern rear axle to handle the power and introduce an open drive-line.

Bogie
I don't think anyone that has ever built a street rod took the engine and transmission out, and exspected a different one to bolt right in. People put SBC, or BBC, in Fords everyday, and I'm sure Henry never built them so they would fit right in. So I think that a SBF and AOD will fit in that F1, just as easy as one fit in my 33 Ford. I'm not sure, maybe wrong, but I thought someone posted a SBF is lighter and a little shorter, than a flathead, again I could be wrong. But I do think he will have to make a little hump for the AOD, All depends how low the engine sits, and how far forward. I had to put a pretty big hump in my 33/

35terraplane Bob

Sometimes too much to drink,

is still not enough.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Bogie...I think "fab work" means just that, nothings going to just fall in and bolt right up.......geeez.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM

engine swap

thanks, for the advice, i expected some fab, was more concerned with the sizing.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

1948 Ford

Quote:
thanks, for the advice, i expected some fab, was more concerned with the sizing.
That will fit in there nicely, and still have room to work on it. Good luck, have fun, and post some pictures.

Bob

The voices in my head may not be real,

but they have some good ideas!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I kinda agree with "Oldbogie". How excited is she about driving when the auto is in. It may be she will want power steering then, etc., etc..
What could be more fun then driving an old stick flattie ?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

It is not a hard swap, you have to cut out the front engine mount and mid cross member that the trans mounts to and with that the brakes will need to be remounted but there is a pedal mount and master/booster assembly that you use a few existing rivet holes from the old cross member as well as drilling a few new ones. The floor will clear but if you want to the center panel comes out and would be pretty easy to modify if needed. I had to replace the floor pan in the front of the seat on my 51 F1 so when building a new one I changed the center to fit the trans a little better.

There are several places to get the engine side mounts from and a few companies that make trans cross member kits if you don't have the equipment to build one. You can see some pictures of my truck here. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...03518843CAHgny

You have a good rear in that truck that will not break with a SBF street engine in front of it and has an open driveline so all you need to do with the driveshaft is get it shortened and have your yoke installed with a bastard U joint.

If you wants to add power steering and keep the straight axle the Toyota truck box is supposed to fit and work with a little modifying of the column and a few holes drilled.

Ford trucks.com has a forum section for these trucks as well.

Hope this helps, Mike
Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Bolt an auto up to the flatty....
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/fordflathead.htm
An 8" from a Maverick will handle the rear end chores.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:24 AM

thanks

thanks for the info Mike. I have tried to get her to drive a manual with no luck. better to have her comfortable than crash, yea she would want a diamond shifter knob if see could get it too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.