Engine Swap for 1948 Ford driver - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Swap for 1948 Ford driver

Greetings to all…
I am building a 1948 Ford for a driver. I want to put a later Ford engine in it using the stock 48 transmission and 3:56 rearend – my first choice is a 155hp 250 Ford six that I have out of a 1970 Maverick – The motor I have is a very good runner, reliable, and descent on gas. Three questions:
1) Has anyone made this swap?
2) Will this use the same engine to transmission adapter as a small block Ford 302 V8?
3) Where can I get an engine to transmission adapter for this swap?
Thanks for replies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WELCOME to HOTRODDERS.COM ...
I see this is your first technical post. I believe that the Maverick six cylinder may be too long for your 48 Ford engine compartment ... without firewall cutting. I installed a 283 Chevy engine in a 48 some years back. I had to use the early short style water pump and even then, it was a tight fit. I know that the six cylinder should be longer than the 283.

Wilcap is one of the oldest, most well established engine/transmission adapter manufacturers I know of ... and the SBC to early Ford is one of their best sellers. They do NOT list a Maverick style 6 cylinder to early Ford transmission adapter.

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

Maybe another one of our members has more information to help you.

AGAIN ... WELCOME

Deuce ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Being the 250 uses the SBF bellhousing bolt pattern, an adaptor for a SBF will work.. www.speedwaymotors.com should have it in the flathead section...

but if it's a 144-200, it will not work because the bolt pattern on those is all togther diffrent.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

WELCOME to HOTRODDERS.COM ...
I see this is your first technical post. I believe that the Maverick six cylinder may be too long for your 48 Ford engine compartment ... without firewall cutting. I installed a 283 Chevy engine in a 48 some years back. I had to use the early short style water pump and even then, it was a tight fit. I know that the six cylinder should be longer than the 283.
][/I]
The Maverick 6cyl is 37" measured from the the length of deck surface
Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

I agree with the above; you will surely have problems with the length of the 6 cylinder. Find someone to sell it to or trade it off for a 289 or 302. You'll have an easy swap, and be much happier with the overall performance.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
I agree with the above; you will surely have problems with the length of the 6 cylinder. Find someone to sell it to or trade it off for a 289 or 302. You'll have an easy swap, and be much happier with the overall performance.
it's actully approx the same length as a 302 when you include the water pump on the 302, it's not very long at all. Ither 34" or 37" ( it's 1 or the other, but can't remember which ), I measured mine 1 yr ago when I rebuilt it just to see, then compared it to a 302.. 250 water pump sits in the block, so it does not add to the length much at all.. it could very well fit just as good as a V8
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
it's actully approx the same length as a 302 when you include the water pump on the 302, it's not very long at all.
And Ford did install it's own 6 cylinder engine in 1948 Fords. I believe that the 250 six would labor fairly hard trying to pull the 48 Ford along but who knows ... with the low gear ratio in the rear that the 48 Fords came with ... it may be OK

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
And Ford did install it's own 6 cylinder engine in 1948 Fords. I believe that the 250 six would labor fairly hard trying to pull the 48 Ford along but who knows ... with the low gear ratio in the rear that the 48 Fords came with ... it may be OK
The 250's are great at producing low end torque and the 1970 250 is by far the best 250 you can find, as it has a 9:1 compression ratio along with 1 of the better cyl heads Ford put on them.. 155 Hp @4k RPM 240 Ft/lb at 1,600 RPM. I don't think it will have a problem. BUT.. if it was a later 250, after '70 the compression ratio's dropped down to 8:1 in a short period they were barely making 90 HP. and those engines do need help, even though some of the later engines have better flowing heads than the '69-'70 250 head, the chambers are bigger and therefor they have a lower compression ratio.. but you can take a later cylinder head and mill it enough to match the old 52cc chambers the '70 had ( approx .060-.070 off the surface ) and it will wake the '70 engine up.. later cylinder heads were 62cc. '70 and down were 52cc.. guess I'm just a 6cyl guy

Last edited by matt167; 06-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Many thanks for replies so far...

Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone actually ever made or seen this swap before? Also not much luck in finding the small block Ford/302 adapter to the stock 48 transmission. Bentdsens says that the adapters have not been produced for some time. Also did not see them at Speedway. Anyone know where the small block Ford/302 to stock 48 transmission adapter is currently being offered? Have been watching ebay but no luck yet. Thanks for help...
Old 06-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Hate to rain on any ones parade but went thru this quite a while back and found it turned into a zoo with finding adapters and all the pieces we needed..Wound up putting a 302 with a C-4 automatic and a ranger pickup rearend in the 48..Worked real well and tho I do not recall what the mileage was it did not seem to be all that awful..Best part was that we did not have to split any wishbones or any of that..Kept it stock height and for all the world to see the car is just a well preserved 48..

Sam

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.