Engine Swap 1987 Pontiac Firebird V6 to V8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Swap 1987 Pontiac Firebird V6 to V8

I have a 1987 Pontiac Firebird with a fuel injected V6. What would it take to swap it out and put in a V8?

Does it have to be a fuel injected V8? Does it have to be controlled by a computer, or can I build a V8 and put it in and be good?

What Pontiac V8 would you reccomend? Does Pontiac and Chevy intermix?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 08:13 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccsrc
I have a 1987 Pontiac Firebird with a fuel injected V6. What would it take to swap it out and put in a V8?
new motor mounts. it's like putting a v8 in a s10. they make motor mounts for such a swap. and a tranny & driveshaft. also you may have to upgrade your front suspension

Quote:
Does it have to be a fuel injected V8? Does it have to be controlled by a computer, or can I build a V8 and put it in and be good?
no, it can be carbed if you want to.

Quote:
What Pontiac V8 would you reccomend? Does Pontiac and Chevy intermix?
i'd just drop a built 350 in it and call it good since it's an oversized go-cart your putting it in

what happened to the 383 and the nova?

J
Old 01-14-2006, 08:20 PM

I have it pretty much planned. I've been messing around with the dyno software, testing out cams. It's definitly makes the picture clear when it comes to which cam you choose. You can see right on the graph where you get most of your HP/TQ. Pretty Darn COOL!

Did I mention I have to save up the money for the 383?

I have a 1987 Pontiac Firebird with T-Tops that I was thinking about selling. But then again I think hmmm. Maybe I should put all that money in the Firebird. Less work

Would a Chevy 383 fit in the Pontiac? Can I use the manual transmission? Probably not with the Chevy but what about a V8 Pontiac. I'm not that familiar with Pontiac V8's. I'm mostly a Chevy and Oldsmobile fan.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:23 PM

What makes a Oldsmobile 455 a 425? Or should I say what makes a 425 a 455? I have one of these blocks in my shop.

When I took the Piston to Napa to get a new piston for my 455 Olds, they said these pistons where for a 425. That was 12 years ago. What is the difference and would that work?

This is fun...
Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Would a Chevy 383 fit in the Pontiac? Can I use the manual transmission?
yes and no. the block will fit but you need a V8 tranny

j
Old 01-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I did this swap in the past and if you don`t have a V8 donor car, then I usually say don`t bother. The holes for the mounts are already in the frame, all you do is get the mounts for a firebird or Z28 V8 car of the same year. You`ll need V8 front coil springs, crossmember, radiator and etc. if the car has tops and you plan to add a V8 with any kind of power, you`ll have to add sub frame connectors otherwise it`ll twist the body resulting in a broke windshield and a passengers side t top that won`t lock back into place. You`ll also need to install a stouter rearend. This swap involves a bit of work and gets expensive, not trying to be discouraging, just trying to give you a heads up on what to expect.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I did this swap in the past and if you don`t have a V8 donor car, then I usually say don`t bother. The holes for the mounts are already in the frame, all you do is get the mounts for a firebird or Z28 V8 car of the same year. You`ll need V8 front coil springs, crossmember, radiator and etc. if the car has tops and you plan to add a V8 with any kind of power, you`ll have to add sub frame connectors otherwise it`ll twist the body resulting in a broke windshield and a passengers side t top that won`t lock back into place. You`ll also need to install a stouter rearend. This swap involves a bit of work and gets expensive, not trying to be discouraging, just trying to give you a heads up on what to expect.
Yikes, there is a lot involved. I better stick with fixing my Nova.

Where do you get most of your Pontiac Firebird parts? Stuff like replacement consoles and parts?

I'm thinking if I rebuild my 455 stock, that I should have plenty of power to move that car. What do you think?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:57 AM

How about mods for a V6? Do they make them?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
Yea my camaro was a v6 car(350 now) and it doesn't have the sub frame connectors, and guess what the windshield split right down the middle good thing the t-top hasn't busted yet. So since he's gonna be doing the same thing anyways; whats involved in the sub-frame connectors?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:37 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

There are lots of mods for the v6's , just reading thru one of my recent car mags(HORSEPOWER)where guys are getting up to 700 h.p. out of them,pretty pricey,but their doing it.
I would look into modifying the v6,the money you would spend on the changeover to a v8 could be spent on some goodies for the v6.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Building a 425/455 Nova would be great.
Starting with a running useable SBC 350 and hopping it up would probably be much cheaper than fully doing a big Olds.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccsrc
Yikes, there is a lot involved. I better stick with fixing my Nova.

Where do you get most of your Pontiac Firebird parts? Stuff like replacement consoles and parts?

I'm thinking if I rebuild my 455 stock, that I should have plenty of power to move that car. What do you think?
hawks third gen parts

Oh and on these cars subframe connectors are a must even without alot of power, the unibody flexes alot.

Also if you build an engine with any power a T-5 shouldn't be used if you are going to drive it hard. Some take up to 350 HP others blow at 200 its hit and miss (I'm also guessing big tires that get lots of traction can make the difference)

As far as rear end you could be fine with stock but I wouldn't take the chance. Some guys upgrade the 10 bolt internals, others get australian 9 bolts and others just cop out the money for a 9 inch or 12 bolt.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder
Thanks for the website. They actually have what I was looking for. It's a miracle. I needed the center console that holds the radio and has the console.

The Firebird has 223,000 miles on it so a rebuild is probably not a bad idea. It seems to have plenty of power, but if I rebuild it, I would like to add some parts to make a little more power. Not so much power that it will break the windshield or screw up the left T-Top.

I see the subframe connectors, they run $226 and don't look to bad to put on.

Last edited by bccsrc; 01-15-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.