Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   engine swap (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-swap-227989.html)

thompske 01-05-2013 02:00 PM

engine swap

:confused:Hello, my name is kevin and i am a newbie on here so be nice! lol

My question is this; i have a 1992 buick roadmaster wagon with 65,000 original miles (5.7 v8) and a 1989 chevy K-1500 silverado(305 v-8) 4x4 is it feasable to swap engines with no issues? both engines are stock and do run,however the 305 in the truck has high miles and the 350 in the buick runs great! my wife no longer wants to drive the buick and i thought hmm instead of shelling out a ton of money for an engine i would check around to see if that 350 would fit my truck! any ideas?:D

hcompton 01-05-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thompske (Post 1630943)
:confused:Hello, my name is kevin and i am a newbie on here so be nice! lol

My question is this; i have a 1992 buick roadmaster wagon with 65,000 original miles (5.7 v8) and a 1989 chevy K-1500 silverado(305 v-8) 4x4 is it feasable to swap engines with no issues? both engines are stock and do run,however the 305 in the truck has high miles and the 350 in the buick runs great! my wife no longer wants to drive the buick and i thought hmm instead of shelling out a ton of money for an engine i would check around to see if that 350 would fit my truck! any ideas?:D

They should bolt up but computwr may need to be swapped and roadmaster surely has a different computer than the truck. I would say yes but a tune and possibly a computer swap is in order and probably injectors for the 350 if they are different since the computer will be timed for the larger or smaller injectors.

Now not sure if the 5.7 is a lt1 or not it might be in the roadmaster and that would present all kinds of issues. I know the big caddy is lt1 same as the corvette. I would not be suprised to see it in the road master as well. They actually had some power.

Find out if the road master is lt1 or tpi or tbi? That will be the first step. And also do the same for the truck 305.

hcompton 01-05-2013 02:13 PM

You might be ok with the 92 they had tbi and the truck should of had the same thing. May still require the truck tbi program. I dont think you can swap since its 4x4 it may not work well going from a car to 4wd truck.

Now i am sure it will start and run but will it make the same power as it made in the car is the issue.

johnnyg 01-05-2013 02:32 PM

It should work, take as much as possible from the Buick (wiring, sensors, computer,etc..) to switch to the truck. The 350 is a truck motor anyway. I had a 92 Roadmaster it was tbi. I also had a 92 GMC Vandura it was tbi also.

thompske 01-05-2013 04:14 PM

question engine swap

ok....so what about alternator,starter,waterpump swap from one engine to another? 350-305. The truck needs an alternator and serpintine belt, along with some other little small things.will the parts swap or interchange?

Thanks guys for your patience.:D:thumbup:

johnnyg 01-05-2013 04:23 PM

305 and 350 parts will interchange. Leave as much as possible on the 350 unless all that stuff is missing.

hcompton 01-05-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thompske (Post 1631004)
ok....so what about alternator,starter,waterpump swap from one engine to another? 350-305. The truck needs an alternator and serpintine belt, along with some other little small things.will the parts swap or interchange?

Thanks guys for your patience.:D:thumbup:

If its the same stuff fine but if its mounted in a different location. I would assume its not going to fit into the truck frame.

I would bet a long block swap is going to be needed. Computer for the 4x4 will have a different profile for a different cam and engine use. Also no sure if the computer is involded with the trans or 4 wd system. In newer trucks it is for sure but not real sure about an 89.

Power steering pump may be very different as well. Alt on roadmaster should be a 100 amp model. No harm in useing that.

You may want to search the forum on smog pumps and egr systems. They will also need to be working for what ever computer is installed.

Is the roadmaster going to the junk yard or are you going to swap the 305 into it? You can swap lump for lump and bring the harness over but it may be so different the truck wont work or wont have wiring for some parts. Engine harnes i think it should come loose on both engines wothout much effort. If the swap lumps and something does not fit ypu can always go back to the old engine and get what you need.

But many ppl have made the 350 swap you should be able to find some good info out there.

thompske 01-05-2013 04:56 PM

engine swap

Ok, i am done with trying to figure out engine swaps i am now down to parts swapping,if i can get the alternator,belt,and starter to work on the truck i will be good to go! thank you.

johnnyg 01-05-2013 05:31 PM

Why swap parts?? Leave EVERYTHING on the 350. Take everything connected to the 350 out of the buick, all wires, sensors, computer. If it connects to the Buick and the engine take it out and lay it on the engine. Put the 350 in the truck and hook everything back up. Leave the alt, waterpump, steering, serpintine belt set up on the engine.

thompske 01-05-2013 06:23 PM

because 1. i am doing this myself and i am not a mechanic by no means!
2. the engine swap is a long term agenda a fix all to the problem
3. the parts swap would get me down the road in the next couple days.
4. from all the posts on here i still dont know if a engine swap can be done or not, some say yes, some no, some dont know, i am back to square one! frustrated and confused.

johnnyg 01-09-2013 10:10 AM

It'll work. the 350 in the Buick is a Chevy truck motor.