engine swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine swap

need help finding out about all mods needed to swap 5.0and 5 speed into a 1963 falcon sprint 260 4speed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Traditionally, we never hear from 1-time posters again, but I'll give my opinion of how to do the swap.
Buy a complete, running donor car and use EVERYTHING off of it, including all the wiring and computer. You should have nothing left of the donor but sheet metal, glass and upholstery when you're through with the swap.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowglide88 View Post
need help finding out about all mods needed to swap 5.0and 5 speed into a 1963 falcon sprint 260 4speed
The 63 Sprint shares a lot of commomality with the 65-66 Mustang both in running gear and platform. So a 302 being an outgrowth of the 260 is close to a bolt in. But, and it's a bit of a big BUT, the bellhousing to engine mount pattern is different and not interchangeable between the 260 and 302, therefore you need the 302 matching bellhousing and flywheel to the 302 or from a late production 289. The 63's 4 speed is should be a T10 which should bolt up to the newer bellhousing.

Keep an eye on the input shaft spline count as well as the output shaft, be sure the clutch disk and driveshaft slip yoke matches the spline count on their respective shafts.

Bogie
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Traditionally, we never hear from 1-time posters again, but I'll give my opinion of how to do the swap.
Buy a complete, running donor car and use EVERYTHING off of it, including all the wiring and computer. You should have nothing left of the donor but sheet metal, glass and upholstery when you're through with the swap.
t.i.1, That was a little sarcastic! Do you think that you should treat a new poster like that just because you don't like Fords? I don't like Chevy, but I don't treat new members that way.

Bill
Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
The 63 Sprint shares a lot of commomality with the 65-66 Mustang both in running gear and platform. So a 302 being an outgrowth of the 260 is close to a bolt in. But, and it's a bit of a big BUT, the bellhousing to engine mount pattern is different and not interchangeable between the 260 and 302, therefore you need the 302 matching bellhousing and flywheel to the 302 or from a late production 289. The 63's 4 speed is should be a T10 which should bolt up to the newer bellhousing.

Keep an eye on the input shaft spline count as well as the output shaft, be sure the clutch disk and driveshaft slip yoke matches the spline count on their respective shafts.

Bogie
The OP is asking about swapping a 5.0 and five speed as a unit, so I assume (yeah, I know...) that he's got a complete, matching engine/trans from a donor (presumably a Fox-body) and the bellhousing/clutch compatibility won't be an issue. What MAY be an issue is trans crossmember location, overall trans length, and shifter location of the T5 as compared to the T10.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
The part that kills me is the thought of swapping out a 260 four speed. What a neat little car that is! My nephew had a nice little black Sprint like that, damn nice little car. And they have a pretty high value too, maybe leave the 260 in this one?

Just a thought.

Brian
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
The OP is asking about swapping a 5.0 and five speed as a unit, so I assume (yeah, I know...) that he's got a complete, matching engine/trans from a donor (presumably a Fox-body) and the bellhousing/clutch compatibility won't be an issue. What MAY be an issue is trans crossmember location, overall trans length, and shifter location of the T5 as compared to the T10.
Yeah, I missed that while commiting indoor speed reading. The stuff pretty much fits the mounts he has, the shifter will come off the top of the tranny instead of the side, depending upon model it may come up from the maincase or on the tail shaft. To get better than that will require knowing which T5 he has. A picture would be worth a thousand words, but a year and model would be helpful. The same will go for tail shaft lenght and cross member location. Basically he's at a point where he needs to mock the installtion to see what he's got.

Bogie
Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech View Post
t.i.1, That was a little sarcastic! Do you think that you should treat a new poster like that just because you don't like Fords? I don't like Chevy, but I don't treat new members that way.
Bill
Well Bill, you're certainly living up to your self-description of grumpy. Why would you say that I don't like Fords? Did I ever tell you that? Did I ever say that on any thread? Bill, my daily driver is an F150.

I tell only the unembellished truth and the truth is that this fellow is posing that same question on as many forums as he can find on the net. He will go back and participate on the thread that tells him what he wants to hear. I'd like to have a nickel for every first time poster who never answered back.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Well Bill, you're certainly living up to your self-description of grumpy. Why would you say that I don't like Fords? Did I ever tell you that? Did I ever say that on any thread? Bill, my daily driver is an F150.

I tell only the unembellished truth and the truth is that this fellow is posing that same question on as many forums as he can find on the net. He will go back and participate on the thread that tells him what he wants to hear. I'd like to have a nickel for every first time poster who never answered back.
Well now I have to apologize. I didn't know that the OP had posted the same question elsewhere. That also rubs me the wrong way! Sorry.

Bill
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Quote:

Have you actually seen him posting the same question all over the net, or are you just assuming based on his post count? Sure, its a little annoying when someone comes on here and doesn't even come back to the thread they started to have a useful conversation, let alone stick around and be a contributing member... But that doesn't mean everyone that asks a question with a single digit post count should be immediately written off and condescended. You said it yourself, he will go back and participate on the thread that tells him what he wants to hear... This community wouldn't have gotten as big as it is if everyone had the first reply to their first question be like yours. You have to remember most of our new members are likely to be people searching for some sort of technical information, and not all of them are going to be well versed in community etiquette, and will need a slight nudge in the right direction.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM
boatbob2

Sprint........

Rebuild the 260,keep it original,it will be worth more...
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Wow, when did Hotrodders.com become the AACA? It's not like we're talking about a Chevy swap here. The 302/T5 combo is nearly a bolt-in and doesn't require hacking up the car. It's also probably more fun to drive. Park the original drivetrain in the corner of the garage, dress the 302 to look like a 260, and drive the wheels off of it. Heck, if I were into Fords, I'd build one of these.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Joe, there are times to say leave it be, there are times to say hot rod, any car lover sees it that way. This was a factory hot rod, it needs to modification to make it a hot rod, it was a hot rod the day it rolled off the line. It isn't like saying leave the 190 inline in there because it's original.

Someone with a nice 65 tri power GTO, how about a 65 Shelby Mustang, or a 67 big block Vette, you could bolt another motor into any of those that would smoke the original, but would that be "right"? Sure it's all about opinion and all, if you simply bolted in a later, bigger small block and kept the original motor off in the corner of the garage wouldn't be a bad idea, it's not like you are destroying the car. I just personally feel that the original is a treasure of a car and should remain stock that's all.

Brian
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Joe, there are times to say leave it be, there are times to say hot rod, any car lover sees it that way. This was a factory hot rod, it needs to modification to make it a hot rod, it was a hot rod the day it rolled off the line. It isn't like saying leave the 190 inline in there because it's original.

Someone with a nice 65 tri power GTO, how about a 65 Shelby Mustang, or a 67 big block Vette, you could bolt another motor into any of those that would smoke the original, but would that be "right"? Sure it's all about opinion and all, if you simply bolted in a later, bigger small block and kept the original motor off in the corner of the garage wouldn't be a bad idea, it's not like you are destroying the car. I just personally feel that the original is a treasure of a car and should remain stock that's all.

Brian
I couldn't agree more Brian! Any unique factory hotrod should probably be kept that way if it's still complete. If it was a factory 260 4 speed, and it's still all there I'd hesitate to change it. If that's what it was, and most of the drivetrain is gone, then I'd be less concerned about a swap.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I couldn't agree more Brian! Any unique factory hotrod should probably be kept that way if it's still complete. If it was a factory 260 4 speed, and it's still all there I'd hesitate to change it. If that's what it was, and most of the drivetrain is gone, then I'd be less concerned about a swap.
Yeah, but...

If the swap is totally bolt-in, I'm less worried about it. As an example, I've got a numbers-matching 69 442. The original 400 has a small crack in the water jacket, easily fixed, but the small bore, long stroke 400 is not one of Oldsmobile's better designs. That block is going in the barn and a 455 goes in it's place.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.