Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - engine swap 36 cord to GM V/8 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I would really be reluctant to destroy this car with late model engine and drive line. While I knew what a Cord looks like, wasn't aware of the different models so did a search. This is one link I found:

"Only 1174 of these 1936 Cord model 810 Westchester Sedans were manufactured. Lauded at the time as the most impressive American design, it was late getting to production and many orders were cancelled. Despite the trouble Cord had getting the cars delivered, it is still an impressive and imposing creation. Innovative in design, the 810 presented one of the first cars without running boards, with an "alligator" hood, front wheel drive, and hide-away headlights. This Westchester was restored in the US in the early 70's and is in good running condition. It has been in a Museum for many years so will need to be refurbished, though the paint, bright work, and interior are all in very good condition and show extremely well. There is no rust on the car. The original 288ci V-8 is sound. Belts and hoses may need replacing, the brakes need service, and new weather stripping will need to be installed. This Cord is a remarkable car for any age. Car is available for inspection where located in Germany. Documentation is available. For more information please call Tom at 803-370-6354 or follow the link to email - themotorclub21.com/Contact.html" themotorclub21.com.

The asking price was $69,500, selling price, probably still North of $60,000.

Now, if you are really interested in doing this, don't mind the $$$ hit to your retirement options, we'll give you lots of advice.

As far as a cross mounted engine/front wheel drive - why? There are many others, but IMO, that little 3.6 you suggest, probably not going to give you the performance you would like, especially if you stay with tall tires. Then any front wheel drive could give you major pain for adaptation to that chassis as I'm guessing some of the suspension geometry will be altered to fit the chassis/wheel well requirement