Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - engine swap 36 cord to GM V/8 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
I've been following this thread for a while now. While I agree that the car should be kept stock, it isn't my car so my opinion is meaningless. I think the main thing here is for the OP to understand the magnitude of work involved with a swap. From the photos, it appears that the original drivetrain is simply a V8 and transaxle turned around. What immediately comes to mind is a Corvair drivetrain. You can get adapters to bolt an SBC or BOP engine to a Corvair transaxle. V8 Vair swaps flip the transaxle around, but if you keep it in the stock orientation (transaxle in front, engine behind), the engine would be in the same place as the stock Cord. A Buick 3800 V6 might make for a tidy package. The Audi transaxle is also popular for mid engine swaps. I don't know how hard it is to turn it around to run the engine behind it, however. Same goes for the transaxles in the Chrysler Concorde. Do some junkyard investigating. If you can keep the mods pretty much bolt-on, and retain all the original parts, the next owner can put the car back to stock if desired. No harm, no foul.

As for front suspension, consider the C4 Corvette. Look closely at the uprights for the front and back. It looks like they both take the same wheel bearing package, but the rears are configured to accept a driveshaft. I'll bet you can put the rear bearings in the front uprights and get a FWD setup that steers. Failing that, consider the S-10 spindles. These are configured for either 2WD or 4WD by swapping the hub assembly.
hi joe,thanks for the info,it's really appreciated,i try to personally respond to as many of you as i can. i am leaning towards an olds toro fwd unit as it's already been done,there's a beautifully done cord in indiana using this drivetrain and that's what sold me! if i could find and talk to him it would make this project simpler,but i'm going to make it happen! again thanks joe and everbody out there! jerrycord