engine swap 36 cord to GM V/8 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brian,

You seem to be all over this and don't read what other people write before jumping in and commenting negatively that it is a lot of work and previous comments that it could not be done. I have stated 2x now that you would be best off using an Independent rear end from a Vette! Quote "The front axle looks like it would need to be an independent as the holes in the frame wouldn't allow a differential to be stuffed thru and not big enough to allow enough movement."

Can you get beyond the pretty pictures and read and understand the text? It CAN be done and yes it IS a lot of work. This isn't Car Craft where you call CA and order a crate engine and misc. adapters and bolt the parts in over the weekend! This is real Hot Rodding where you BUILD a car the way that you want it and can sit back and drive it down the road maybe a month later, or maybe a year or two later after you figure everything out!

First thing to do is start taking measurements with a notepad and tape measure. Then you determine IF the swap will work and make up some lists about what is needed and how you will do it. AFTER you have a PLAN you can start to buy some parts. During the modification process you will certainly find something that you overlooked and need to adjust/adapt/change to make it work! He asked for ideas and I presented him with some. I didn't give him a shopping list and suggest that he rush out and start buying parts. He is a long ways from that part of the project! He isn't committed to taking my suggestions, he can cancel the Project or go a totally different direction like you suggested to join the Cord Forum, be a Purist rather than a Hot Rodder and restore it to fully Stock condition!

I am sure that you KNOW all of this Brian and are trying to save the OP some time and money by discouraging him from doing this project! Good for you! Buy Detroit! Support the Economy! Now let him decide if he wants to continue, if my suggestions are workable by measuring both the Cord and a Toro drivetrain and if he decides that he still wants to do it and it might work for him then give him some additional help and support! Neither you nor I actually know if he has the mechanical skills to even give a good attempt at making this work. He needs to look at the project with an open mind and figure out if he is looking to get in WAY OVER HIS HEAD with the work involved or the cost of having some one else do it! He bought the Cord, maybe he has retirement funds that he doesn't want to leave to his Kids and would rather tinker in the garage on his Cord Project to make himself happy!

Swiss

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScF For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-28-2012), studeelover (07-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Hey Swiss. How are you going to make that independent Vette rear end steer when you install it in the front?

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-28-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM

John I would say that is where the adaptation/fabrication gets real. The output shafts of the Vette could be adapted to some current or possibly Olds Toro style front drive parts or maybe some more modern units could be used off of some of the current front wheel drive designs matched to the Vette output shafts? I didn't see any photos of the Cord kingpins or steering parts so I don't know if they could be adapted to work or not?

Certainly not a game stopper.

Swiss
The Following User Says Thank You to ScF For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-28-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScF View Post
Brian,

You seem to be all over this and don't read what other people write before jumping in and commenting negatively that it is a lot of work and previous comments that it could not be done. I have stated 2x now that you would be best off using an Independent rear end from a Vette! Quote "The front axle looks like it would need to be an independent as the holes in the frame wouldn't allow a differential to be stuffed thru and not big enough to allow enough movement."
You are right I glossed over that and went back to read it better after I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScF View Post
Can you get beyond the pretty pictures and read and understand the text? It CAN be done and yes it IS a lot of work. This isn't Car Craft where you call CA and order a crate engine and misc. adapters and bolt the parts in over the weekend! This is real Hot Rodding where you BUILD a car the way that you want it and can sit back and drive it down the road maybe a month later, or maybe a year or two later after you figure everything out!

First thing to do is start taking measurements with a notepad and tape measure. Then you determine IF the swap will work and make up some lists about what is needed and how you will do it. AFTER you have a PLAN you can start to buy some parts. During the modification process you will certainly find something that you overlooked and need to adjust/adapt/change to make it work! He asked for ideas and I presented him with some. I didn't give him a shopping list and suggest that he rush out and start buying parts. He is a long ways from that part of the project! He isn't committed to taking my suggestions, he can cancel the Project or go a totally different direction like you suggested to join the Cord Forum, be a Purist rather than a Hot Rodder and restore it to fully Stock condition!

I am sure that you KNOW all of this Brian and are trying to save the OP some time and money by discouraging him from doing this project! Good for you! Buy Detroit! Support the Economy! Now let him decide if he wants to continue, if my suggestions are workable by measuring both the Cord and a Toro drivetrain and if he decides that he still wants to do it and it might work for him then give him some additional help and support! Neither you nor I actually know if he has the mechanical skills to even give a good attempt at making this work. He needs to look at the project with an open mind and figure out if he is looking to get in WAY OVER HIS HEAD with the work involved or the cost of having some one else do it! He bought the Cord, maybe he has retirement funds that he doesn't want to leave to his Kids and would rather tinker in the garage on his Cord Project to make himself happy!

Swiss
You are very right I don't know his skills or financial position to have it done. But I have found it isn't that hard to read between the lines either. But I will wait until he returns if I haven't scared him away.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-28-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Maybe I will add fuel to the fire or maybe not...As far as wanting to put a late model engine drivetrain in a early classic sure thing as now we have a usable car and it does not wind up in some scrapyard..

Now as to my approach to this and keeping the budget doable I will go to my 4wd buddies and get a front end from a Tahoe or Colorado 4x4..H'mmm Ifs disk brakes steering, steering box and all that that I need..Now I would adapt that to the front of the Cord chassis..Not much more difficult than putting a Nova clip in you ole chev pickup..just a fabrication issue here..

Once that is in then take the engine trans and transfer case from the Tahoe or whatever and install that..H'mm so far so good..Might need to massage the firewall and floor pan a bit to allw this to go in where the original engine went..Now blocking off the transfer case to the rear..Go see Tim and get a bolt in yoke that fits the seal.bolt that puppy in and voila the oil stays in the transfer case..Now it is off to the driveline guy to have a shaft made of the correct length and install that..So far so good and now all that is left is the wiring and radiator and exhaust..Nothing here I can see that is not pretty much regular hot rod work except for the part of wrapping ones brain around it..

BTW the late GM suv and pickups use a torsion bar suspension so no spring towers to hassle with..

Sam
Jerrycord (07-28-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

Here is a discussion with people who own these cars.

AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB :: View topic - Ideas for engine swap for Westchester

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-28-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Good options to consider and the steering is basically worked out. Could do a V-8 or one of the shorter big V-6 engines.

Swiss
The Following User Says Thank You to ScF For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-25-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
Man, I have to state the obvious - that's just WRONG.
What doofus wrote this?

Oh, that was me. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know a hypocrite when I see one reflected in the mirror.

Do whatever you have to/want to and get this car on the road!

I've only seen these cars in photographs and in museums. If you want to make it driveable - go for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Supercharged03 For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-25-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Customs Front Wheel Drive Hot Rods - THE H.A.M.B. is a discussion that includes Cord swaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Jerrycord (07-28-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Actually, i was just thinking about this whole thing today; If you are not concerned about originality, drivetrain-wise at least. And it doesn't appear that you are, then maybe just switch to RWD---might be just as easy as re-doing the FWD thing.

i don't know if cords were/are unibody.

i also don't know the dimensions of the car, but i'm sure there are other cars with similar dimensions where you could use their frame and drivetrain---impalas, monte carlos, s-10's come to mind..............and just "plop" the body on top.

Too crude? Maybe i just confused the issue more.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 PM

thanks for all the interest in my cord;

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
One other thing to consider Jerry. You advised you are 75 years old. Do you really want to spend possibly 2 years getting a project like this completed. If you are wanting to drive a really nice car in the near future, you might look into selling the Cord. It should bring the kind of money that would buy you a nice car that is road ready.

John L
hi john; appreciate your comments and concerns,however i was aware of the major shortcomings and safety issues [wheel hubs crack and wheels fall off] inherent in the cord drivetrain to get it 80% right it would cost 20+k ,i'd rather do the swap and have it bulletproof. AND IT'S BEEN DONE ,GOOGLE CORD,HOLLYWOOD GRAHAMS,HUPMOBILE SHARKS on this site,go to page 2 and scroll down to #29 and see pictures of a neat install if i can find out what he did it would me a lot of time! thanks again for all the info, jerrycord
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycord View Post
hi john; appreciate your comments and concerns,however i was aware of the major shortcomings and safety issues [wheel hubs crack and wheels fall off] inherent in the cord drivetrain to get it 80% right it would cost 20+k ,i'd rather do the swap and have it bulletproof. AND IT'S BEEN DONE ,GOOGLE CORD,HOLLYWOOD GRAHAMS,HUPMOBILE SHARKS on this site,go to page 2 and scroll down to #29 and see pictures of a neat install if i can find out what he did it would me a lot of time! thanks again for all the info, jerrycord
I understand Jerry. I am a street rodder and truly appreciate taking a piece of history and making it practical to use. I had the opportunity to build back the bottom 12-14 inches of a rusty Graham Hollywood 20 years ago for a customer. I really enjoyed working on it. That is how I knew it was the same body as the Cord. I personally believe making it rear wheel drive will be the way to go.

By the way, I will be 67 next month so I hope I didn't step on your toes. I always built cars no one else would tackle but as I get older, a 5-6 year project is not as enticing as it used to be. However you proceed, I hope you will keep us posted on your progress.,,,,,,(we really like pictures)

John L
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Link: Cords, Hollywood Grahams, Hupmobile Skylarks
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Guys look at post 51 in that linked thread..Shows a chev v-8 with a porsche trans and front wheel drive..makes sense to me..Actually I like the idea of keeping the front wheel drive as doing all the floor pan and rear suspension mods to make a rear wheel drive just seems like a real zoo to do when we have some good alternatives to retain the front wheel drive..

Sam
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
And Jerry, I can't say it enough, if I don't mean to be the bad guy here, I'm just not going to candy coat stuff, I know NOTHING about the car, the value, the parts available nothing. I just wanted to throw another look at this and if you are deep into the Cord community and are clear about the costs and what not and decide to do an engine swap I am dying to see it.

I just wanted to make that clear, I hope you took my advice with an open mind so you have everything ready in your head as you proceed.

Brian

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.