engine swap 36 cord to GM V/8 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've been following this thread for a while now. While I agree that the car should be kept stock, it isn't my car so my opinion is meaningless. I think the main thing here is for the OP to understand the magnitude of work involved with a swap. From the photos, it appears that the original drivetrain is simply a V8 and transaxle turned around. What immediately comes to mind is a Corvair drivetrain. You can get adapters to bolt an SBC or BOP engine to a Corvair transaxle. V8 Vair swaps flip the transaxle around, but if you keep it in the stock orientation (transaxle in front, engine behind), the engine would be in the same place as the stock Cord. A Buick 3800 V6 might make for a tidy package. The Audi transaxle is also popular for mid engine swaps. I don't know how hard it is to turn it around to run the engine behind it, however. Same goes for the transaxles in the Chrysler Concorde. Do some junkyard investigating. If you can keep the mods pretty much bolt-on, and retain all the original parts, the next owner can put the car back to stock if desired. No harm, no foul.

As for front suspension, consider the C4 Corvette. Look closely at the uprights for the front and back. It looks like they both take the same wheel bearing package, but the rears are configured to accept a driveshaft. I'll bet you can put the rear bearings in the front uprights and get a FWD setup that steers. Failing that, consider the S-10 spindles. These are configured for either 2WD or 4WD by swapping the hub assembly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Speed and Power

After reading all the do this, don't do that.
I have but one question.
If you add all that speed and power to the front end------
Will the back half be able to keep up?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankinforesthill View Post
After reading all the do this, don't do that.
I have but one question.
If you add all that speed and power to the front end------
Will the back half be able to keep up?
I don't know... but he'll really be in trouble if the rear tries to pass the front!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I understand Jerry. I am a street rodder and truly appreciate taking a piece of history and making it practical to use. I had the opportunity to build back the bottom 12-14 inches of a rusty Graham Hollywood 20 years ago for a customer. I really enjoyed working on it. That is how I knew it was the same body as the Cord. I personally believe making it rear wheel drive will be the way to go.

By the way, I will be 67 next month so I hope I didn't step on your toes. I always built cars no one else would tackle but as I get older, a 5-6 year project is not as enticing as it used to be. However you proceed, I hope you will keep us posted on your progress.,,,,,,(we really like pictures)

John L
hello again john,thanks for your comments and belive me you did'nt step on my toes at all.i picked you to respond to as you're one of the more moderate voices on this site.i've had some experiance with full restorations,did a 55 bel air convertiible 12 yrs. ago, brought it back to #1 condition, no mickey mouse anywhere. the only area not original was the mill,trans and disc brakes , my cousin built up a corvette 350 block using the best components[he builds and races funny cars at the epping n. h. dragstrip] i had him keep the top end stock appearing so it would look original, the turbo 350 was built by fred brown racing and it ran strong considering the limitations of the top end. my cousin will perform the swap on my cord as he can also build a new stubframe i told him i would do all the research thats why i picked this site.the cord drivetrain requires constant and expensive repairs, it will be converted to gm fwd, i'll post pics as soon as my wife shows me how. again thanks everybody, jerrycord
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

He hates me.

Brian
Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

jerrycord,
" my cousin will perform the swap on my cord as he can also build a new stubframe i told him i would do all the research thats why i picked this site."

have him check into a Chevy Colorado pick-up as a donor for this. They did/do make them with 4, 5, 6, and V8 engines 2WD/4WD. Disc brakes, rack&pinion steering, IFS, torsion bars and sway bars for any engine/vehicle weight. Whole lot easier than starting from scratch and the parts will be available for years to come.

The Colorado is laid-out a lot better than an S-10, cleaner, easier to use and newer.

Good luck with it, post some pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldBodyman For This Useful Post:
OneMoreTime (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman View Post
jerrycord,
" my cousin will perform the swap on my cord as he can also build a new stubframe i told him i would do all the research thats why i picked this site."

have him check into a Chevy Colorado pick-up as a donor for this. They did/do make them with 4, 5, 6, and V8 engines 2WD/4WD. Disc brakes, rack&pinion steering, IFS, torsion bars and sway bars for any engine/vehicle weight. Whole lot easier than starting from scratch and the parts will be available for years to come.

The Colorado is laid-out a lot better than an S-10, cleaner, easier to use and newer.

Good luck with it, post some pics.
oldbodyman, thanks for the info,we will defenitly check this idea of yours out,thanks again for the tip, jerrycord
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
He hates me.

Brian
brian, i hope i did'nt somehow step on your toes,belive me i'll listen to all the advice i can get,jerrycord
Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycord View Post
brian, i hope i did'nt somehow step on your toes,belive me i'll listen to all the advice i can get,jerrycord
No problem at all Jerry, I honestly thought you were mad at what I was saying. No it's all cool.

Brian
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Good to see Jerry doesn't hate you even if the rest of us do.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Don't expect to come over my house to BS in the garage with a beer.

Brian
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

LOL Man, I sure wish I could. Would it not be cool if we could all decide to go to the same cruise and get together with a cold one?

John L
Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Yep but on the same respect it will hit me often how amazing the net is. To think of how easy it is to chat with people thousands of miles away. It's more about FINDING these people than chatting, the phone did that over a hundred years ago. But for FINDING the people, that is the cool part.

That will have to be good enough for us until Apple starts selling a teleporter.

Brian
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
I've been following this thread for a while now. While I agree that the car should be kept stock, it isn't my car so my opinion is meaningless. I think the main thing here is for the OP to understand the magnitude of work involved with a swap. From the photos, it appears that the original drivetrain is simply a V8 and transaxle turned around. What immediately comes to mind is a Corvair drivetrain. You can get adapters to bolt an SBC or BOP engine to a Corvair transaxle. V8 Vair swaps flip the transaxle around, but if you keep it in the stock orientation (transaxle in front, engine behind), the engine would be in the same place as the stock Cord. A Buick 3800 V6 might make for a tidy package. The Audi transaxle is also popular for mid engine swaps. I don't know how hard it is to turn it around to run the engine behind it, however. Same goes for the transaxles in the Chrysler Concorde. Do some junkyard investigating. If you can keep the mods pretty much bolt-on, and retain all the original parts, the next owner can put the car back to stock if desired. No harm, no foul.

As for front suspension, consider the C4 Corvette. Look closely at the uprights for the front and back. It looks like they both take the same wheel bearing package, but the rears are configured to accept a driveshaft. I'll bet you can put the rear bearings in the front uprights and get a FWD setup that steers. Failing that, consider the S-10 spindles. These are configured for either 2WD or 4WD by swapping the hub assembly.
hi joe,thanks for the info,it's really appreciated,i try to personally respond to as many of you as i can. i am leaning towards an olds toro fwd unit as it's already been done,there's a beautifully done cord in indiana using this drivetrain and that's what sold me! if i could find and talk to him it would make this project simpler,but i'm going to make it happen! again thanks joe and everbody out there! jerrycord
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM

jerry's cord

to brian martin sr,john long,sam&everybody,this is my first attempt at sending pictures,the 1st pic should be my "55"chev. bel air taken in "01"after a 2 yr restoration,next is my 1st look in the garage in n.h.where i bought the cord,the rest are taken at my cousin's shop. Note the brazed casting repair in the fwd,these cars are famous for losing wheels amongst other major problems which is why i'm doing the engine swap. thanks again brian,jerrycord
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	721.7 KB
ID:	67169   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	988.2 KB
ID:	67170   Click image for larger version

Name:	C.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	67171   Click image for larger version

Name:	J.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1,002.2 KB
ID:	67172   Click image for larger version

Name:	D.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	798.5 KB
ID:	67173  

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.