Engine swap 48 Lincoln Continental Convert - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine swap 48 Lincoln Continental Convert

Hi;At risk of starting a war wanted to ask what engine might be good in here.THis is a heavy car approx 4500Lbs.My interest is more in economy and reliabilty than speed,50 years ago would have gone for the biggest thing around but time has slowed me.All I care now is to get there and back reliabily and at a reasonable cost.Have access to an 86Town car with 302 and 3 speed auto.Guess the rearend won't fit they say need a 9"ford?Guess can get any ratio in them?Word I get is that this engine with the 3 spd would require a rear end so low for performanec that high speed would be poor and if ratio for high speed the takeoff would be bad.Told if using this engine would at least need the AO6Aauto? What about the nasty word of using a chev seems more people use them than fords.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM

48 Lincoln conversion

My daughters 86 Town Car is very reliable with its 302 F.I. and 3 speed tranny w o.d.-BUT-the wiring involved to make it work may be daunting.It may be less intimidating(to me at least)once the engine is out and the engine harness is seperated from the rest of the cars wiring.How about a Ford truck rear end?May or may not be too wide.Might be the right bolt pattern,too.I remember reading an article somewhere that the hardest part of doing this swap is that the frame rails are close together-is that right?You are going to gain alot by getting rid of the V-12-never heard anything good said about those motors.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:47 AM

HYi;Thanks for the reply.This is a funny one no OD just the 3 spd auto.Think may go with it anyway!THe opinion seems to be to get rid of the FI and put on a 4 barrel manifold lot less complicated.Apparently the midsize fords Granada etc have the narrower springs.Dread getting into this can of worms but if get it done should have a car you can rely to travel with.No much nicer looking cars than these old Continentals but the old running gear is always a question!Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

if the gears in the rearend of the 86Town would haul that heavy car then why wouldnt gears that high pull ur 48 Lincoln??? i had mid gears that were in the mid 2's & it pulled my 40 chevy down the road w/o any problem & i could also break the tires loose at a stop sign if i wanted.
here's some page w/rearend widths to help u in the search for a rearend. IF u want to use a ford rearend look at some of the midsize later ford w/the 8.8 rearend or the midsize chevys w/the 8.5 rearends, all will handle that mtr w/o any problems.joe

http://carnut.com/specs/frear.html
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/ifs&rearend.htm
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

Last edited by TooMany2count; 06-08-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: mamma told me tooooo
Old 06-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

your rear

Whats wrong with the rear end under it? whats the rasho? It carried the car org. so weight wouldn't be a problem. That car was designed to cruse at 70 to 80 mph. on the road. I'd be think more about having something that would get it going and hole is speed at cruising. I don't think I worry about mileage, after all, you not goin to drive it daily. I do think I 'd go with a O.D. trans. I.m not a ford man, but I did put a 390 Hi-performance A T from a 66 GTA in a 55 ford truck. It was light (had trouble taking off) but it would carry the mail. Carb would be easier to hook up. F.F.T.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Some think that the HV-12 is a POS. Not true! an overhauled engine with clean water passages, rebuilt water pumps and a modern oil pump will eliminate the heating and lubrication problems that gave the V12 flattie a bum rap. The post war V12s can be set up with dual carbs and aluminium heads, they push the big barges around nicely. (they aren't as heavy as you would think, my Zephyr is huge but only weighs in at around 3400.) My smaller V12 does fine both off the line and cruises at 60 as long as you want. (no overdrive on mine yet) They used a closed torque tube and around a 4.00:1 rear end ratio. Many were equipped with Overdrive units. (the Columbia on the early ones and the Borg Warner on the later.) the transmissions are strong and were the desired gearbox for racing back then. Don't be afraid to stick with the original, in the long run you will be happy with it. Another option would be a post war Ford V8 such as an 8BA, it's a direct bolt in. If you are really set on doing the swaparoo for modern, the 302 or 351W with an AOD and a Granada rear end, custom driveshaft will work. How about a 300 I-6 from a truck? They have gobs of torque and are plentiful. (it would look cool under that mile long hood too) Another option would be an independent rear from a Cobra Mustang or Thunderbird, then you could get disc brakes out of the deal. lots of fabrication will be necessary. Take a look over at the LZOC website and the forums there. You will find more info on the H series Lincolns than you knew existed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.