Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - engine swap 5.2L to 5.9L
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You should have a 518A trans. It will have an extra wire connection to the side of the trans close to where the neutral safety / backup switch is.
The connector will be behind the NSS/BUS a few inches and will have either 2 or 3 wires to it. If it has 2 wires , it does not lockup just overdrive, if it has 3 wires, it has overdrive and lockup. If there is no extra connector, it has no lockup or overdrive.
The balance issue can be solved by getting a weight kit for the torque converter and welding it on. The kit has a template to insure placement for welding.
My buddy did his last year and it worked well. Seems to me, ( I dont recall exactly) that he needed a flexplate from and older poly 318 . I dont recall the exact reason here. It might have been something with the crank stub pattern.
Also one of the 4 torque converter to flex plate holes was offset and was elongated to accomodate the torque converter pattern.
Maybe someone else remembers the flex plate issue a little better than I do, and will chime in.

Last edited by LATECH; 08-26-2012 at 10:47 AM.