Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   engine swap 5.2L to 5.9L (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-swap-5-2l-5-9l-223365.html)

jacdup85 08-26-2012 09:49 AM

engine swap 5.2L to 5.9L

I am swapping out the 5.2L for a 5.9L in a 1989 Dodge 1/2 ton 4-wheel drive short box, std. cab pickup. Typically the 5.2L is a internally ballanced motor, and the 5.9L is an externally ballanced motor. I'm keeping the same transmission, but am told I have to swap the torque converter & flex plate. I'm trying to find out if it's a lockup or non-lockup torque converter, and if it's a 11" or a 12" torque converter, with out dropping the transmission to check to see if the input shaft is smooth for 3/4" on the end. My nephue is still driving the truck, and the motor is at the machine shop getting rebuilt, waiting for a torque converter, so they can ballance the motor. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated. Thanks.

LATECH 08-26-2012 10:40 AM

You should have a 518A trans. It will have an extra wire connection to the side of the trans close to where the neutral safety / backup switch is.
The connector will be behind the NSS/BUS a few inches and will have either 2 or 3 wires to it. If it has 2 wires , it does not lockup just overdrive, if it has 3 wires, it has overdrive and lockup. If there is no extra connector, it has no lockup or overdrive.
The balance issue can be solved by getting a weight kit for the torque converter and welding it on. The kit has a template to insure placement for welding.
My buddy did his last year and it worked well. Seems to me, ( I dont recall exactly) that he needed a flexplate from and older poly 318 . I dont recall the exact reason here. It might have been something with the crank stub pattern.
Also one of the 4 torque converter to flex plate holes was offset and was elongated to accomodate the torque converter pattern.
Maybe someone else remembers the flex plate issue a little better than I do, and will chime in.

LATECH 08-26-2012 10:57 AM

My bud ordered the weight kit from the Dodge dealer, believe it or not (MOPAR Performance parts) any good dodge parts guy will know.
Also B+M makes a plate that does the same thing. Part number 10236 flex plate. But its 65 bucks. The weight kit is cheaper.

jacdup85 08-28-2012 07:32 PM

Thanks guys! I had a couple local auto parts stores look everything up for me & they tell me the flex plates are the same part #'s for 5.2L & 5.9L. I'll find out soon if it's true or not, cuz I bought one from them. But I also called the local transmission place & they said 3 wires going to my nuetral saftey switch means lockup torque converter? That's what I ordered so we'll find out if that's true soon also. They also said most everything after 1978 will have the lockup t.c.? Thanks again!