Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Swap - 64 Galaxie
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 10:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Swap - 64 Galaxie

I've got a 1964 Ford Galaxie Country Sedan with a 390.

The car is pretty much stock. The 390 needs to be rebuilt. I'd like to take the 390 out and take my time with it, but I need to keep my car on the road... so I'm thinking of getting a rebuilt engine to swap in for a while.

Since I'm in New York City and there are very few opportunities to really let the car rip and gas prices seem to be marching higher and higher and I'm goinging beef up my stock 390 anyway, I was thinking that it'd be great to find a small efficient engine to swap in. I was thinking about the milage maker 6 which was the original small engine option, but then again since this is going to be a sort of odd swap I figured I'd open the field up a bit. I've heard great things about the chevy straight six from the sixties. Newer engines are also an option. The 460 that is in all the Ford taxi cabs seems to be a good solid engine and since it is the fleet engine I'd figure there are a lot around and easy to get parts for.

What should I stick in here? Priorites are...

1) Enough juice to get the old girl around town and on the highway safely.
2) Easy to swap in and out with my stock tranny
3) Fuel efficient.

B