engine swap for mazda b2000 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine swap for mazda b2000

Hi guys, glad to find the site. Just call me grumpy1, I'm an old timer still tinkering. I have an b2000 mazda pick-up, I want to put in a 4.3 and 700r4. First question, where can I get a 4 barrel intake and second, have any of you done this or know of anyone who has done this before. I need to know what I am welcome getting into. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 07:32 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

you might be able to do some more through searching and find more than what i found

Summit, Jegs, and SpeedWay are always a good choice for searching for parts
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

A 4bbl. intake was available on the first few years of production in full size chevy vans. The other source is Marine. These intakes will only fit engines up to approx 92-94. After that the heads and intakes are all different.

The biggest problem with the B2000 is the heater/defroster system is mounted in the center over the small trans tunnel.

I have seen 3.8 Buicks in them, but not 4.3. Great little trucks but, most of the B2000's around here have been reclaimed by Mother Nature!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I build a real mild 302 ford for a guy and he put it with a c-4 in a b-2000. Looked like it went in fairly easy and did that little thing move out.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

V6 mazda

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I now have traded for '95 vortec 4.3, with the 700r4 still attached. Has about 49000 miles on it. My first idea was to change it over to a carb engine, but the guy who has it said he could hook a computer back to it if I had one. This would be cheaper and better in the long run, the manifold from Edelbrock is about $129-245 based on if you want a high rise or not, then the carb is about $230 or so. Also the 700 is the electronic style and could not be used without the computer. I can go to pull-a-part and get the wiring harness and buy a computer from Advance auto parts, where I work part-time. Thanks for the help and I still would be thankful for any and all thoughts on this project. Grumpy1.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

4.3 chevy in mazda B2000

Well I have changed the oil pan and made a new pickup screen for the pump. Maybe this week end I can see how it looks in the truck. For now I am going with the injection sys. This may change as the project goes along.
The heater hoses seem to be in an OK position. In the mechanical parts, the next worry is what radiator to use. The space there is limited also. I can see better on this when I get the engine into the bay. Hoping for the best.
HAPPY IN ALABAMA.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 PM

hello from a fellow mazda ( used to have one ) owner. for info go to www.mazdatruckin.com you'll find there are alot of useful info there ..

i'll tell you this you'll have to beat on the fire wall to put the motor in and you'll have to get custom made engine mounts ( google ultimate customz . i think its with a z or s try both for website unless your a fabricator and want to fab your own . you'll have to change the rear and order a custom drive shaft as well for the truck .

I TOO have seen 302's and as of recent pontiac 400 motor in one !! , also another common motor swap is the rx7 motor and trans and the newer ones that people are doing are the s2000 motors and trans , and the fe2 motor out the kia sportage .

good luck on your quest.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Well, I'm still working on it. That Mazda truck site is good. Well, I put '69 camaro mounts on the engine and fabricated some frame mounts. The engine is now setting in the bay, and looks like it was made for it. I have some pictures made but have not finished the roll yet. I will try to get some pictures of the mounts installed tomorrow. The trans mount will have to move back about 1" or so. This doesn't seem to be a problem though. I will be working Monday and I plan to check out the '92 Ranger radiator spec's. The one for the 4.0 Ranger is about a qt. less than the for 4.3 radiator.
I know some boogers will arise, but right now the only one I see is the engine and trans wiring to the computer. A carb and intake, and dist. seem to be higher than using the computer, plus with the computer injection stuff, gas mileage should be good. Let me know if you are a engine computer gura, I might be willing a case of Mt. Dews with you, while you work. See Ya,
Happy in Alabama!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

For a rad you may want to use a a new 4 core aluminum rad. That way you don't have to worry about overheating.

What kind of stall converter does the tranny have? Is it just stock?

For a few hundred bucks you can get a nice new 4 core rad that will look awsome to match all the work you're putting into the vehicle.

my 2 cents.

BTW, can't wait to see some pics!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
I have seen 3.8 Buicks in them, but not 4.3. Great little trucks but, most of the B2000's around here have been reclaimed by Mother Nature!
Ashes to ashes, rust to rust!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Well the motor and a 350 turbo case are sitting in the truck. The fire wall cleared fine. I did do a little a little remodeling on the opening of the Tunnel with a hammer, but not too much though. I will line up the motor and trans tomorrow if possible. It's 23deg. in Alabama right now, with highs tomorrow only in the low 30's. Man it hard to work with cold, boney, fingers.
I think I have a trade for a 200 4r out of a '88 Monte. That is suppose to be one of the good one, same as the Grand National I am told (except for the bolt pattern). IF this is not right, let me know pretty quick, the trade is next week.
COLD, but happy in Alabama.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

Hi guys, just a note on the 4.3 into the mazda B2000. The engine is in with the mounts welded, used '69 Camaro mounts on the engine and made the ones for the frame. The heater hoses will be ok. The dist. is the computer one with about 12deg. adv. right now, this is a temporary fix for awhile. The dist will clear to come out when the rear 2 wires are pulled from the cap. I have not gotten a radiator yet, but I have about 5" from the water pump shaft to the AC condenser, should be plenty. I used the elderbrock 4Barrel intake. Looks good.
I used the shell of a Turbo 350 transmission to help line things up. I would never have believed it, but the mazda cross member fits within about 1/8" being perfect, a rotary file will finish it. The transmission sets on the same set of holes. The down drop on the engine is about 3deg.
If I did another one, I would measure from the engine mounts to the transmission mount on the engine being installed, and then measure from the mazda trans mount forward to locate where the new engine frame mounts will be. Then build the engine frame mount bolt it all togather. On mine, the
the engine mounts landed right on the mazda frame mounts or close enought to weld. The engine mount will measure about one and three quarters inches from the center of the bolt on the engine mounts to the frame to get high enought to allow the engine drop at the rear, plus you need this much to allow about an inch of clearance over the drag link.
I had some pictures but they didn't turn out too good. My son has a dig. camara. I will try to get the pict. soon.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Last journal entry: ok im on to my next big dream beast
Last photo:

why 4.3

ive seen two instances of smallblock chevys in these trucks as a proud owner of an 87 mazda b2000 ive done my research if you use a radiator out of a large car with a 305 electricfans and an electric waterpump the sbc will sit in their really perty and you can still use youre 700r4 you will however have to push the firewall back a couple inches upgrade youre front suspension im gonna use a chevy blazer for a suspension donor also because the blazer rearend works alot better with the added power and the blazer fuel tank will hold a bit more than the factory 12 gallon piddletank just throwing it out their but i really would like to see some pics whichever route you take
Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been out of the country for the last 9 days. I did buy me a new digital camera and will be posting some pic soon. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

pictures

Hey Guys, better late than never they always say, So I thought I would log in and let yall know I put up some pictures. Maybe more when I get more done.
Right now the engine is and the 700r4 is in. All I need now is to build the crossmember, and cut the drive shaft and the power train will be complete. Thanks for the help, and I will probably be asking for more late.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.