Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Engine Swap question... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-swap-question-234144.html)

dub 06-20-2013 12:15 AM

Engine Swap question...

Hey Guys,
I found a really good deal on a big block 454 chevy motor.
I have a 72 chevelle that i would like to put it in.
It is a 2005 Chevy Crate motor #88890529
Its coming out of a 1989 Chevy Suburban.
Its got all the smog equipment and so forth.
So my question is:
Am I able to put this motor into my chevelle? If I get a after market manifold, headers etc...Can I bare this motor down and will it run correctly?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Mike

thinwhiteduke 06-20-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub (Post 1686790)
Can I bare this motor down and will it run correctly?

Thanks
Mike

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "bare this motor down" mean?

Duke

gearheadslife 06-20-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub (Post 1686790)
Hey Guys,
I found a really good deal on a big block 454 chevy motor.
I have a 72 chevelle that i would like to put it in.
It is a 2005 Chevy Crate motor #88890529
Its coming out of a 1989 Chevy Suburban.
Its got all the smog equipment and so forth.
So my question is:
Am I able to put this motor into my chevelle? If I get a after market manifold, headers etc...Can I bare this motor down and will it run correctly?

Thanks
Mike

yes you can strip this 454 of all the smog crap.
add a carb intake, and distributor, (if roller cam, use melonized gear)
and drop it in your a body.

thinwhiteduke 06-20-2013 02:42 AM

Oh ok "bare down" means stip off all the auxiliary crap, got it!:thumbup:

Duke

vinniekq2 06-20-2013 09:32 AM

Im not up on new part numbers,check the block for fuel pump mount,as it may be a fuel injected model.I would take the engine apart before installing it.You should know whats inside and the condition.Think of the engine as a very good "core". maybe if the car is going to be comparitively driven, then now is a good time to blue print the engine and maybe make a few changes as per your wants.
I bought a 1980 Camaro from a guy that spend a bunch of money and it was not that impressive,even though it was built by a reputable engine builder. Cost me $1700.บบ just to make it good,I machined the block to make it square,checked balance,replaced rod bolts,and changed the cam.
My first pass was 1/2 a second faster than his best previous pass.Over the next year changing just bolt on equipment I dropped another full second plus.

66GMC 06-20-2013 12:43 PM

I'm thinking that an '89 truck engine SHOULD still be a Mark IV series BBC, which would also likely have the "peanut port" heads on it, which is OK for bottom-end torque, not so good for higher RPM.

I'd further suggest that you get the block and head ID's and head over to mortec or nastyZ28.com to decode them, so that you know what you're starting with.

The popular swap is to swap to the large oval-port (OEM cast) or aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads.

Rectangular-port heads were also used on this engine, but unless you're planning on huge horsepower / RPM ... most will tell you that you're better with the oval-ports.

66GMC 06-20-2013 01:39 PM

PS.
Do yourself a favor, if you're contemplating a camshaft swap ... buy a hydraulic roller camshaft.

Yup, they're more money ... but you'll probably only have to do it ONCE.
(Ask me how I know ...) :(