engine swap question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 07:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine swap question

Hi everyone 1st post,
I've been looking at all the threads and found a few ideas on the subject but no specific info to answer my question.

I have a 66 Pontiac LeMans with a 230 OHC 6 ,1bbl carb.

This engine has givin me major headaches from the time I got the car. I now have 0 compression on 2nd cylinder after recent work done and No one seems to know how to work on this thing.

I'm looking to swap the engine and put an 8 in there.

I have a 2 speed automatic tranny in there and my question is .....will the existing tranny hold up behind an 8 cylinder pontiac engine?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think it will, but you will be much happier with a 3 speed turbo or a 3 speed + overdrive (700r etc)

Just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

I don't think GM used those with anything bigger than a 350 engine. Some of the 6-cyl versions may have been air-cooled, which would not do much for longevity behind a bigger engine. What's wrong with the 6?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:16 AM

if you need cheep just go with a chevy 350 eng. and a 350 turbo tranny about the cheepest bang for your buck
Old 11-29-2003, 02:55 AM

Last photo:

The 64-66 GTO came with the 2 speed auto and they held up well. This is a Buick type trans and not the Chevy Powerglide. I do not know if Pontiac did anything different between the 6 trans and the 8. I also would not put any rebuild money into the trans if it does break - I would then go for the 3 speed or even opt for a 200R4 trans with the overdrive (or 700R4 with adapter plate). There probably is a market for what's left of your 6 and associated parts so you can recoup a little money on the sale of the used parts. I'm starting to see more of the OHC 6's at shows and they are unique and a nice powerplant. Maybe get another opinion on the condition of yours before you throw in the towel.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

I've been gone for a week, Thanks for the replies.

These engines have their problems for sure. I have the typical bad headwork problem which generally leads to a temporary repair before the next problem occurs.

I've been all over the pontiac OHC forum for the past 6 months and I don't have my heart in this engine the way them guys do.

What I do love is the car and just want something that's going to be reliable.

I can get an engine going and am good at maintenence but I definately don't call myself a mechanic

I'm not looking to go too powerful , actually Chevy 350 is what I was recently thinking.

I don't want to go for the tranny swap or rebuild right away because right now my pockets stop at the knuckles but I intend to get the engine.

Rather than trying to locate one and have it rebuilt I was looking at the GM engines, - New.

Would I be able to put a new 350 in there and hook up to the 2 speed pontiac transmission for now?

The 350's say for most cars from 70 to today. I have a guy to do it just want to know if the transmission will bolt up and if he'll be able to get the new 350 into the 66 pontiac .
Old 12-01-2003, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

The only way to put a Chevy engine on that trans is with an adapter plate.

www.tciauto.com (click on specialty)
http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/...sion_comp.html (scroll down about halfway)
Old 12-01-2003, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

Like jimfulco said, you will have to use an adaptor plate.

Personally, I'd buy a good used chev th350 tranny. Around here there are plenty for sale for about $200 for a good working tranny. My 0.02
dh
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you don't want that mill make sure you get some bucks for it! I'm no expert, but I wouldn't say those motors are really easy to come by. YOu may be able to finance most of the swap just from the profit.

Food for thought-

K
Old 12-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

For GOD'S sake keep it all PONTIAC! Get a 400, or a 455 and you will be very pleased! The 400 is cheaper to build if I remember correctly. There's plenty of them out there. You can pick up a late 70's 455 in a big bodied car for cheap.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

You go Retro, I think you should go all pontiac as well. You already said you don't want a whole lot of power (or something to that effect). A Pontiac 350, 400, 455 should be fairly easy to come by for you, they are fairly common up here anyways.

Now before you Pontiac guys get upset with me, I'm not saying the Pontiac power plants are low on power, because thats completely not true. I'm just figuring on "Earthworms" apparent budget. So I don't think he'd be going for any big time parts. Just building a cruiser. Plus in the future there are go fast goodies, and there were pre 75 Pontiac engines that made real good power. (Mines a '75 ) Go for one of them mills Earthworm, and you may even be able to bolt right up to your original 2 speed. keep it Pontiac.

bonuts
Old 12-02-2003, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again everyone for all the info, advice and opinions. I really appreciate the input.

I was looking to a Chevy motor because you can get a new turn key job pretty cheap. Probably cheaper than a complete overhaul on an old pontiac engine.

I didn't feel too good about putting a Chevy into the pontiac actually, it just don't seem right. But my main objective is to get a fully functional running auto.
A chevy 350 still isn't out of the question. but I would feel better with a Pontiac in there.

A freind of mine has a 71 LeMans with a Pontiac 350 in it that had high mileage but was running when he got the car. Since then the car has sat outside for 2 years with no hood on it so the engine looks like a lump of rust with a squirrels nest in it.

he's willing to give it to me for free. Should I even consider taking it basically for the block and have it totally rebuilt? I don' t know if a weather beaten engine like that is rebuildable.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Check to see if the motor is seized. If not, it should be rebuildable. Hot tanking will get rid of that rust.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

No one likes to ask stupid questions but here goes. Forgive me for being such a novice but this is my first classic car and I'm only about 1 year into learning .

Question is, if it was possibly seized ,would the engine be siezed due to rain and weather or would it have siezed up during operation before it became a huge lawn ornament?

the guy says it ran when he got it .
Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

If it got water in it, chances are it is seized due to rust. It could still be taken apart and rebuilt, but it would be tough to get it apart.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.